GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Multiple Directions, One Goal - George11's GTI

George11

Ready to race!
Ordered Ammo Reflex coating for the car. I will get to apply it in about a week. So far, I have only corrected my paint once. Using Dodo Juice wax or Meguiar's ultimate paste wax. Also I mainly do rinseless car washes unless the car is really dirty then I would do a 2 bucket wash. Currently it has light random scratches that disappear a fresh waxing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

George11

Ready to race!

It arrived! I will most likely apply it this weekend since I am excited to try it out. I wish I could do it tonight, though the rain and no garage access this week due to our driveway getting repairs won't allow any sooner.

Car will be heading to Pure Motorsports tomorrow for the clutch, lsd and brake fluid change to Motul.

George11

Ready to race!
Just got back from Pure Motorsports!

Just a little info, this is my first car that I have gone this far with aftermarket parts. I have owned or leased a couple manual cars over the years which includes a '65 Mustang, ~'99 Beetle, and 03 Civic. None of those cars had aftermarket clutches with a heavier clutch, yes not even the Mustang.

Ok, back to the GTI. The HS tuning clutch still being broken in. Driven during almost high traffic from 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm tonight, I took a longer way home so I was putting regular road miles as compared to freeway miles which Pure Motorsport said don't truly count as break in miles. So yes, the clutch is heavier but pushing it down is not hard, it is the releasing of the clutch which is difficult because it is a little bit of retraining old habits or memory of the previous stock clutch. The bite point is still the same, mid range compared to pedal travel.

With being in the break in period for the clutch and much time in traffic, I really did not get to test out the wavetrac lsd. I look forward to heading to the track with either NASA socal or Speedventures in about 2 months.

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion

Just a little info, this is my first car that I have gone this far with aftermarket parts. I have owned or leased a couple manual cars over the years which includes a '65 Mustang, ~'99 Beetle, and 03 Civic. None of those cars had aftermarket clutches with a heavier clutch, yes not even the Mustang.

Ok, back to the GTI. The HS tuning clutch still being broken in. Driven during almost high traffic from 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm tonight, I took a longer way home so I was putting regular road miles as compared to freeway miles which Pure Motorsport said don't truly count as break in miles. So yes, the clutch is heavier but pushing it down is not hard, it is the releasing of the clutch which is difficult because it is a little bit of retraining old habits or memory of the previous stock clutch. The bite point is still the same, mid range compared to pedal travel.

With being in the break in period for the clutch and much time in traffic, I really did not get to test out the wavetrac lsd. I look forward to heading to the track with either NASA socal or Speedventures in about 2 months.

Car looks pretty! and clean ;) Will closely follow your break-in period. So, more stop-and-go traffic means faster break-in, is it?

George11

Ready to race!
Car looks pretty! and clean ;) Will closely follow your break-in period. So, more stop-and-go traffic means faster break-in, is it?
Sorry for the delayed response the 500 miles for break in are to be city miles per Pure Motorsports.

Short term review, the clutch is great though I am still babying it only about 300 miles on it (I am glad I did not sign up for the track session this weekend). The lsd I tested on familiar commute areas where I used to have traction issues with esp taking over. On those spots the car did not activate esp and no tire slip at all or torque steer.

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
Sorry for the delayed response the 500 miles for break in are to be city miles per Pure Motorsports.

Short term review, the clutch is great though I am still babying it only about 300 miles on it (I am glad I did not sign up for the track session this weekend). The lsd I tested on familiar commute areas where I used to have traction issues with esp taking over. On those spots the car did not activate esp and no tire slip at all or torque steer.

Great to hear about the LSD. I have a few weeks before I get the clutch installed. Will take care to put in city miles as quickly as I can so that I don't need to baby it any more! ;)

George11

Ready to race!
I have been polishing my car most of today, paint, tail lights and fixing paint chipped areas. Ammo Reflex will be going on tonight and then another layer tomorrow morning. The car is looking really good just polished but I am hoping the reflex helps even more. I am considering buying a different wax over the meguiar's I am using right now. Though I am unsure of what to get, probably stop by my local detail supply store to see what they can offer.

In terms of mechanically, the clutch pedal pressure has reduced. I don't know if I just got used to it or if it has lightened up. Either way the clutch still grabs strong and is not slipping. Also the LSD got a decent test this week when I floored it on an underpass. Another solid job done by the Wavetrac giving no torque steer and applying the power as evenly as possible on a terrible road.

I will post some pictures tomorrow of the car after the Reflex has cured.

Also, I just bought a badge less front chrome grille, my current grille is falling apart after I repainted the red strips. My next major purchase will most likely be wheels, I need to get rid of these heavy stock Detroit's.

Last edited:

sauceman101

Ready to race!

Curious how many miles did the stock clutch/ flywheel have on it? I'm considering the HS tuning RSR clutch, but it reuses the stock DMFW and I have 122k on my car a touch over half of it at stage 1.

Paytrose

Ready to race!
Is the OEM front spoiler required to install the Flow Design front splitter? It seems like there may be a big gap between the bumper and splitter without the spoiler, but if there are pics of it installed without the spoiler, that would be great! Thanks.

George11

Ready to race!
Curious how many miles did the stock clutch/ flywheel have on it? I'm considering the HS tuning RSR clutch, but it reuses the stock DMFW and I have 122k on my car a touch over half of it at stage 1.

My car was at around 60k when I had the RSR clutch installed.

Is the OEM front spoiler required to install the Flow Design front splitter? It seems like there may be a big gap between the bumper and splitter without the spoiler, but if there are pics of it installed without the spoiler, that would be great! Thanks.

I emailed questioning that with a similar concern of if it would fit with the Osir front splitter. The did not answer me with a good response and I did not ask to clarify.

George11

Ready to race!

Ordered this to match the chrome grille.

George11

Ready to race!

Photos after new grille and gti emblem...also freshly polished with reflex by Ammo.

George11

Ready to race!
Love the clean look. Needs better photos dude! :)

Really like those fog shrouds, only if they had something which would retain the fog lights.
Yeah, my cell phone camera is no good. This whole weekend was overcast as well. In terms of the fog lights I need to reach out to deauto.