GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI Wastegate Rattle?!

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
TSI Wastegate Rattle TSB - updated 7/8/11

Not for long, VW officially released TSB #2024061

"Rattling Noises from Engine Compartment Area or Exhaust System" on 2008-2012 CCTA and CBFA engines. "Test drive the vehicle to duplicate and familiarize yourself with the noise. Noise can typically be duplicated by driving up a moderate incline, beginning at 35 mph in 4th gear (manual or automatic transmission) and accelerating through the RPM range of 1800-3000 RPM under moderate to heavy throttle. Obey all local traffic laws. " The explanation for the noise is "Because of exhaust gas pulsations the wastegate flap and actuator rod vibrate at the introduction of boost pressure."

The fix has been talked about in the past. Initially VW had techs put a small wheel weight on the actuator rod to determine if the noise was from there. At that point they started working on a fix, a handful of cars had a part installed by a QTM as it was not available to order. The fix worked and now it's out and readily available, it's a simple metal clip that goes on the waste gate rod part # 06J145220A

This is NOT something that has to be, needs to be, or automatically will be done when your car is brought in. The only things that get done automatically are Recalls and RVUs. Recalls are safety related, you will get a letter in the mail and they make an effort to get you in ASAP to get it fixed. Required Vehicle Updates or RVU's (usually mistakenly referred to as recalls) are not safety related so people do not get mass notified. When your VIN is ran through the VW system it will pop up with any open recalls and any RVU's, that's the only time you'll find out about RVU's. For example a 2011 Autobahn, you wouldn't know you have the Kessey reflash open for your car, you weren't notified by VW becasue it doesn't affect your safety but it is problem they know about that is fixed through software, so every affected car will show the open RVU when you run the VIN and will get the new software. A TSB is a technical service bulletin... it's basically a heads up that hey IF you see this complaint look into this. For example there's a TSB for bluetooth to iphone issues, dropped calls, ect... all the TSB says is make sure the iphone has software level of at least 4.1, anything older is prone to issues... clearly that's not an issue for everyone, VW isn't going to mail you a leter about it, if your car comes in we aren't going to automatically have you check to see if you have an iphone and if so what software level it has. For this TSB you don't remove or replace anything, this does NOT affect the function of ANYTHING, your not replacing an old design with a better part and it's not an upgrade. If you don't know what it sounds like you don't have the rattle, theres no reason to try to make it make noise just so you can have a clip that has no functional purpose other than quieting a rattle most people don't get, move on. VW estimates this TSB will apply to around 300 cars.

This is what the clip looks like

This is what the clip looks like installed

Some people are having a hard time getting dealers to perform this TSB and would prefer to just buy the clip and install it themselves and have asked for a How To on installing it..... install is stupidly simple and requires nothing more than a 16mm wrench but here you go.

Last edited:

lalalaprise

Ready to race!
And the flood of people to the Dealerships will commence haha

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
The "rumor" is what I was told directly from my QTM. Last week he told me the TSB was written and completed as soon as legal signs off on everything it'll go active, and parts are coming, he said there's no reason it shouldn't be ready to go by July. It's a quick easy fix, warranty pays 24 minutes to install but keep in mind you guys may have to wait as a while when getting it done, you can't drive the car in and then immediately start touching parts on the turbo, it'll need to cool down a bit.

lalalaprise

Ready to race!
The "rumor" is what I was told directly from my QTM. Last week he told me the TSB was written and completed as soon as legal signs off on everything it'll go active, and parts are coming, he said there's no reason it shouldn't be ready to go by July. It's a quick easy fix, warranty pays 24 minutes to install but keep in mind you guys may have to wait as a while when getting it done, you can't drive the car in and then immediately start touching parts on the turbo, it'll need to cool down a bit.

Id wait 6 hours to get this thing fixed lol

SFvalleyGTi1

Go Kart Champion

Knowing my local VW dealership they'll make it a full day job... Glad they finally are issuing a fix... now only if they would take care of the squeaky door seals we'd all have the car we should've had when we pulled off the dealership lot.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
THANK THE LAAAAAAWWWWWWD!

This will be addressed at my 40k service if not sooner. Subscribing to this thread, for sure.

Edit:
Hold up, isn't that the same TSB as noted in this thread:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11917 ???

Am I missing something?

I'm still optimistic that a real fix is there and ready. I would love to drive this car without that awful rattling sound.

Last edited:

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
THANK THE LAAAAAAWWWWWWD!

This will be addressed at my 40k service if not sooner. Subscribing to this thread, for sure.

Edit:
Hold up, isn't that the same TSB as noted in this thread:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11917 ???

Am I missing something?

I'm still optimistic that a real fix is there and ready. I would love to drive this car without that awful rattling sound.

That's the old version, basically they had you add wheel weights to actuator rod and it it fixed it to call VW dealer help line.... where they told you it was a normal operating condition.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Oh shit, I dont know if they will void my warranty since i have AWE DP.

They can not legally void your car's warranty from a down pipe, the only thing that is no longer covered would be the cat, exhaust leak from a gasket, 02 sensors if they want to be jerks. The only think no longer covered by warranty are the items directly affected by modifications.

For example your engine is still under warranty with an intake, but if the mass air sensor goes bad they can blame it on an over oiled filter contaminating the MAF causing the failure, but if your throttle body goes bad it's still warrantied, if the oil pump goes bad it's warrantied, if your radio craps out its warrantied, etc.. the MAF is about the only thing that could be affected.

Now all things considered many dealers are jackasses about mods. Realistic worst case scenario they should have you authorize a diagnosis fee that you would pay ONLY if what ever is wrong is determined to be from something you did or modification ect.

The Magnuson-Moss act makes it's illegal for a manufacture to void your whole warranty based on something you modified.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
duder, I'd assume you have to ask to have this done, and that it wont be done automatically by the dealer or no? I think I have it to a small degree, no where near as loud as I've heard other cars though.