GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

what kind of gas do you guys use?

Redslumber

Ready to race!
Regular 87 man :). It makes me happy every time I gas up to click the regular button

TrogdorsWraith

Ready to race!
I don't get how people are getting more MPGs out of higher octane fuel in cars designed for 87? Ok its been awhile since advanced mechanics....no comments please :). However its pretty straightforward that higher octane fuels have lower energy potential then their lower octane brethren in. Oh and this is a big IN....conditions that would not cause pre ignition "knock" in the lower octane fuel. You raise octane by adding compression resistance to the fuel....hence less room per volume for actual "fuel". If that makes sense

Redslumber

Ready to race!
Vancity, I had a friend of mine install them. The ride quality will be a little bumpier but that comes with the upside of better road feel, steering, and that sexy, aggressive stance.

I couldn't believe how awesome the car looked coming out of the garage the first time. That 2 inch drop definitely makes a big difference ;).

Btw, I bought them through PG Performance for around $250 but if you look around, I"m sure you can find a better deal.

Last edited:

iamgap

Ready to race!
I don't get how people are getting more MPGs out of higher octane fuel in cars designed for 87? Ok its been awhile since advanced mechanics....no comments please :). However its pretty straightforward that higher octane fuels have lower energy potential then their lower octane brethren in. Oh and this is a big IN....conditions that would not cause pre ignition "knock" in the lower octane fuel. You raise octane by adding compression resistance to the fuel....hence less room per volume for actual "fuel". If that makes sense

But a lower octane is more likely to have a complete explosion after TDC, which means the piston is already moving down for the explosion. A high Octane would allow the explosion to complete closer to TDC. This mean the explosion has a smaller place to expand, which creates more force. It also extends the length of the power stroke.

If the above does not agree with advanced mechanics, then disregard. It's more of an educated guess, based on fine tuning with a timing gun on a 440 wedgehead, 318, 360, and/or 383. I've never had any official training. I am more of an OJT mechanic, but haven't worked on anything newer than a 98 Plymouth (except sport springs), so far. :)

gap

GTItheIllest

Ready to race!
Premium every time

regular is fine , especially if your stock.

between 87 and 91, the difference for me on a full tank is about 6-7$ depending on the prices. at the end of the year its more than 300$ saved on fuel. Might not be huge, but its not bad. With that I pay almost half of the car insurance lol.

Red, Yea, it looks so much better. The ride quality I should be fine with, It gives it more handling and thats what i'm looking for. Btw, are there any meets happening soon? I know you guys are all busy and trying to find the right time is hard but I would like to come out to see everyone's cars.

I went through a full tank of premium and i think i actually used up more gas then before :thumbdown:.. I guess I was driving more aggresively, but im back to regular.

nature boy

Ready to race!
weird how this thread went in a million different directions, but anyway an update on:

i just switched over from regular to premium 2 tanks ago because of all the articles i was reading on gas mileage. my car's engine is completely stock, and gas mileage so far is better but just barely, and i've noticed no increase in performance (according to my butt-dyno at least).

i might give it another tank or two and go back to regular.

it's been two tanks of premium (93) since the above quoted post and according to my mfi i'm saving about a half a litre per 100 km's. i don't know what that's like in mpg, but with my amazing asian mathematical brain calculations i'd be saving about $2 a tank if i fill with premium, which is actually $5 more per tank over regular. so really, i'd be paying in an extra $3 every time just to "think" my car is performing better.

however, with my super awesome credit card i also get 3% back on all gas purchases, which saves (or earns, however you want to look at it) me roughly
$2 each tank at premium, so really that's only a difference of $1 per tank lol.

if premium is actually better for your car like it sounds like a lot of people are saying, maybe it is worth it.

urfavoritemazn

Ready to race!
91 Octane since day 1. No reason not to spend the extra 10 cents.

iamgap

Ready to race!
Well, for whatever reason, gas prices shot up $0.11 per gallon today, so I cheaped out and stuck with regular. Too many people are saying they see no diffference, and it is not worth spending the extra $0.30 per gallon for 91 verses 87. Yeah, around here they charge $0.15 extra per grade. If the greedy speculators allow gas prices to go back down, I will try the 91.

Last time I filled my tank, the price was 3.219 per gallon. I watched as prices went down to 3.139 a gallon in days, but I had only burned a 1/4 tank. Pricess then gradually worked their way up to about 3.249 a gallon, but I was still only about a 1/2 tank. All of a sudden gas prices jump to and hold at 3.289, until yesterday. This morning I drive to work and the fuel light comes on. I finish the 12 mile trip to work, expecting to fill up on the way home. After work I pull up to the pump, and the price is 3.409. I put in 2 gallons to get to where I am sure the prices are $0.11 a gallon cheap. I was wrong. Damn greedy bastards. There is no way the gas in their tanks increased their costs that much in one day. I fricking hate speculators, and hope they lose all their money on bad trading.

gap