GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
Can someone with expertise please charm in; is alignment required if changing subframe bolts?

goose1

Ready to race!
I got the same setup and while a Vibrant resonator didn't completely eliminate the drone , at about 50 to 65 it is almost silent. Still some drone on high gear slow acceleration and above say 80 or so but that's more a product of running past 3000 rpm I think

sent via carrier potato

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
I got the same setup and while a Vibrant resonator didn't completely eliminate the drone , at about 50 to 65 it is almost silent. Still some drone on high gear slow acceleration and above say 80 or so but that's more a product of running past 3000 rpm I think

sent via carrier potato

Thats perfectly fine with me. At 80 im not expecting it to be quiet. But at 60 its pretty bad. Thank you that was exactly what I needed to hear.

Tg2098

Passed Driver's Ed
So I noticed today the drivers side center vent is stuck closed, I tried spinning the wheel to open and close it, it doesn't move. Any way to fix this without ripping the dash apart?

pngorba

Ready to race!
Leave water pump alone during valve cleaning?

Haven't seen this question answered so I'm asking for opinions. My dealer does walnut blasting to clean the valves; cost is approximately $700. My 2012 has 63k and I feel it's about due. The trouble is my water pump is one of the OEM "blessed" ones, i.e. zero issues at 63k. Is it safe and/or even possible to do the valve cleaning without the risk of effing up the water pump? I really don't want to create a water pump failure just because I feel the valves should be cleaned. Car always starts perfectly but I can feel slight hiccups during idle that make me believe it's dirty valves. Coils & plugs are pretty new.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Haven't seen this question answered so I'm asking for opinions. My dealer does walnut blasting to clean the valves; cost is approximately $700. My 2012 has 63k and I feel it's about due. The trouble is my water pump is one of the OEM "blessed" ones, i.e. zero issues at 63k. Is it safe and/or even possible to do the valve cleaning without the risk of effing up the water pump? I really don't want to create a water pump failure just because I feel the valves should be cleaned. Car always starts perfectly but I can feel slight hiccups during idle that make me believe it's dirty valves. Coils & plugs are pretty new.

Just an fyi - LOTS of us on here experience odd shakes and bobbles at idle yet the tach doesn't fluctuate. I only have 22XXX miles and have been experiencing these for thousands of miles. So it might not be dirty valves, though with that high of mileage it probably couldn't hurt. Just wanted to throw that out their.

jettaglis

Go Kart Champion
So I noticed today the drivers side center vent is stuck closed, I tried spinning the wheel to open and close it, it doesn't move. Any way to fix this without ripping the dash apart?

If you gently pry around the outside the entire vent will come out. It will also help if you push on the backside at the same time by removing the side fuse panel access cover.

DasAuto1295

Go Kart Champion
Just an fyi - LOTS of us on here experience odd shakes and bobbles at idle yet the tach doesn't fluctuate. I only have 22XXX miles and have been experiencing these for thousands of miles. So it might not be dirty valves, though with that high of mileage it probably couldn't hurt. Just wanted to throw that out their.

This. I've had slight stutters in idle every now and then for a while. I think its just something with these cars :laugh: not really too worried about it. Btw mine only has 18k so as said above I dont necessarily think its a dirty valves issue.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
does anyone know if the windows come tinted from the factory? I know they are obviously extremely light if they are but I'm curious if they are like 85-90% tinted or just straight up clear glass? I'm going to get my car tinted very soon and I would like to stay at most 35%... I just don't want to put 35% on top of factory tint and end up with 30%...

Renner

Go Kart Champion
does anyone know if the windows come tinted from the factory? I know they are obviously extremely light if they are but I'm curious if they are like 85-90% tinted or just straight up clear glass? I'm going to get my car tinted very soon and I would like to stay at most 35%... I just don't want to put 35% on top of factory tint and end up with 30%...

Not sure...but the shop that tints them will use the correct film to get the % you want. They can gauge the % on site

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
Not sure...but the shop that tints them will use the correct film to get the % you want. They can gauge the % on site

thanks - yea I am def going to ask them to measure beforehand

even though 35% is still illegal in NY (by a lot), I want to get something not too dark but also not too light

I had 15% on my previous car and that was just asking for trouble

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
I just checked my oil level the other day and it was close to the minimum line. I do an oil change every 5K and the last one was around 2 months ago. I went stage II in June and have definitely been driving the car harder since then. There are no noticeable leaks, no drops on my garage or in parking spots, so am I just burning more oil b/c I'm driving it hard now?

Running Mobil 1 0w-40