GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally Validated! And my MPGs are up, up, up!

citrin1893

Ready to race!
hmmmm thats interesting, my mpg is unusually low but I mostly do stop and go city driving but it should still be in the 24-25 range right. I've been thinking and I'm completely stock and I don't have a lead foot, maybe same issue?

whalesalad

Ready to race!
I wonder if performing the throttle body alignment you get with an APR tune will help with this... it says to run it with a cold motor so I'll try it out before heading to work tomorrow!

heartcoke

Ready to race!
Hmm, sub'd, if more people come back with that VAG-COM fix I might bring this up to my dealer. I drive my car like I stole it though.

i_huey

Passed Driver's Ed
I just brought mine in for the 90 day inspection. They actually brought the update to my attention. I asked the service guy what was it for and he simply read back, "body control module," off of the sheet to me. I'm pretty sure he didn't know a jack about what it was for but whatever. Haven't flashed my ECU so I was like why not?

Brought it in with half a tank in the car so I'll find out in about a week if it did the trick. I've been averaging 23-24 mpg combined (26 on highway and ~21-22 in the city).

cnimativ

Ready to race!
I still can get 35-37mpg on my morning commute, about a 25mile ride, mostly highway but stop/go mostly...sucks. but still, I was really impressed.

Find that hard to believe. How many miles can you run per tank?

My fully is in my sig, mostly in 50/50 local/highway.A

Hmm, sub'd, if more people come back with that VAG-COM fix I might bring this up to my dealer. I drive my car like I stole it though.

What VAGCOM fix?

heartcoke

Ready to race!
Find that hard to believe. How many miles can you run per tank?

My fully is in my sig, mostly in 50/50 local/highway.A

What VAGCOM fix?

Well, looking into the problem more he saw on the VAG-COM that when my throttle body was opened 71%, the car was dumping 100% fuel! For reference, this percentage should be closer to 90% when fuel is at 100%. Looking into the situation further revealed other poor settings.

The technician did the TSB to the throttle body and made some VAG-COM adjustments. He did a couple test drives to see the effect and confirm things had actually improved. Imagine that?

That vagcom fix, btw the TSB has nothing to do with the fuel efficiency problem.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
My second fill-up, even better!
In fact, it was my best avg MPG to date.
344 miles, 12.09 gallons, which comes out 28.45 MPG.
This was a 70/30 mix of hwy/cty.
The car's computer avg was 30.2 MPG.
Tail pipes are looking pretty sooty, though.

i_huey

Passed Driver's Ed
I average about 2-3 more mpg in the city after my update. didn't change my driving style either.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Third fill-up, and my last planned update for this thread.

I ended up having 313.2 miles, 11.05 gallons, which works out to 28.34 with a 70/30 (hwy/city) mix.
The computer avg read 29.9 MPG.
I'm certain that I got about 2-3 miles per gallon improvement since this reflash.

If you haven't already, get your car checked out.

heartcoke

Ready to race!
Third fill-up, and my last planned update for this thread.

I ended up having 313.2 miles, 11.05 gallons, which works out to 28.34 with a 70/30 (hwy/city) mix.
The computer avg read 29.9 MPG.
I'm certain that I got about 2-3 miles per gallon improvement since this reflash.

If you haven't already, get your car checked out.
Is that something they should automatically notice? or something you have to mention?

surrealchemist

Ready to race!
I'd like to chime in as well. I had a tire replaced last week at the dealer and whatever update they applied, my MPG has gone up. I was getting 21-25 before, now I am reading 25-28. I did a bit more sitting in traffic this weekend than I normally do and still read higher.

mk6_gti

Ready to race!
I can get 450 miles easily on a tank of gas. 500 is definitely possible. Follow the posted speed limit on the freeway (I drive 65-70) and it is possible to get 500 miles of strictly highway driving.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Is that something they should automatically notice? or something you have to mention?

I would bring it up with your service advisor, mentioning the TSB I noted earlier in the thread.

Good luck.

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
More info please...

I would bring it up with your service advisor, mentioning the TSB I noted earlier in the thread.

MrClean,

Can you please post the name and/or phone number of your service advisor and/or dealer so if there are any questions my service people can contact yours.

Also, can you please clarify if the work your dealer did that helped your gas mileage was a TSB, a recall, or a Vagcom tweak?

I want to sound like I know what I am talking about when I bring this issue up to my service dude and he say's "Huh...?"

Thank you.

Phoenix1

Same Issue +

Thank you for the Post Mr Clean, I actually just purchased a 2010 GTI off the show room floor in Fremont California (Winn Volkswagon).....

First tank I noticed dropped like poking a hole in a water jug, 2nd tank same thing....I called the dealership (Winn Volkswagon) and they said that the vehicle just has to be broken in however I felt BS, there is an issue I know it. I monitored tanks 3-5 (and keep in mind car is still under 1000K miles) and the car is averaging about 18.5 mpg with driving conditions at 50 city/50 hw.

Additionally, there has been a lurching forward and backward when putting the car in drive and reverse. So I finally take the vehicle in mentioning all the issues and they find a 'fault' in the transmission informing me they have to order a replacement part. At this point I am steaming (new car, replacement part? and made in Germany?), but they still act as if I am stupid regarding the vehicle running 'rich' (very sooty tail pipes and I can wipe the back of the car down and have a black bounty sheet, additionally has sluggish performance on pickup). My friend forward me your post that I send to service manager who then mentions to me that they were going to check the Vagcom but only after replacing the transmission part.

The service manager at Winn Volkswagon in Fremont at first mentioned the vehicle was not running rich and that the sensors and test would have picked it up and only after I mentioned the VagCom issue I found from your post, mentioned they were going to check that.

I am still waiting for the transmission part so they can fix additionally repair/tweak the VagCom but will keep everyone posted on details regarding both repairs....I am having real trouble accepting them dropping the transmission on a new vehicle and the other issue. I feel like I got a lemon in a sense.

In any event I will keep the forum posted on my issue with VagCom and transmission as well. Thanks again for the post and the comments here.