GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear wheel bearing replacement & jack stands

dominick

Hey guys,

I think I have a bad rear wheel bearing. I can hear some droning when I drive and it gets worse with vehicle speed. I jacked up the rear and and spun both back wheels by hand and I can hear louder noise from the rear left than the rear right.

I called the dealer and they said it would be $669 to replace 1 rear wheel bearing, which is more than I was expecting.

I did find a video on YouTube of someone changing a MK5 rear wheel bearing and it didn't look too bad (apart from possibly needing an impact).

First question: has anyone done it? Does anyone have steps/part numbers for our cars? I don't have a ton of experience but I've worked on my breaks and I have standard mechanics tools.

Second question: I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to get my MK6 on 2 jack stands. I've seen a video on YouTube of a guy with an MK7 put his car on 4 jack stands by jacking each corner and having the car teeter around. If you only have 2 jack stands, this doesn't work. The closest I got is the car on 1 stand. Let's say I want to lift the front: I jack the rear left super high, then slide a jack stand under the front left when the front wheel lifts up. But then when I go to the other side, I can't do the same for other side, because it will teeter and lean forward (where I want to put the stand). This, and the fact that the car is too low to work with rhino ramps makes this super frustrating. Am I missing something?

AM407

Autocross Champion
I did both rear wheel bearings a couple years ago. Can’t remember any “steps,” just went to the dealer and bought two new bearings and put them on. It was pretty straightforward as I recall, but maybe there’s a DIY on here somewhere.

Can’t remember if I even used my jackstands. You’re not crawling under the car to do this, so just using a floor jack is fine, IMO.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
I would also suggest floor jack supported by a jack stand of course.. you are going to do one wheel bearing at a time and those fricken carrier bolts are a mother phocker ... I bet you need heat to get them off or some really good leverage...

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Just do one side at a time.

Lift from the front pinch weld, and that'll lift up the whole side of the car. Place the jack stand under the rear pinch weld and then lower the jack & you're good to go

It's pretty straight forward/easy though. The carrier bolts are tricky/a tight space to get to and the axle bolt is torqued down pretty good too are the trickiest parts.

A DIY for the MK5 Rabbit/Jetta/GTI/GLI will be the same, btw

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
interested as well

elcid86

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks. The Project GTI video was very helpful. We changed both rear wheel hub on my son's 2012 GTI last night--her has 109k on the car. ONe bearing came apart when we removed it. Part of it was stuck to the wheel assembly and we couldn't figure out why the new bearing looked so different... after we pried it off, the new one went on w/out a hitch. I do recommend fully removing the brake caliper carrier so you can easily remove the rotor. One of our hub nuts did NOT want to come off. I soaked with Penetrating Blaster and applied heat and finally said a prayer! That combo seemed to work, perhaps as the bolt or surrounding components started to cool, the seal broke just enough--use a BIG breaker bar.

WRT jack stands:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WFir8iOT24

Last edited:

FlavMK6

Passed Driver's Ed
My car was hit from the rear-side left back wheel gone!..... I️ fixed it my self. Changed trailing arms’ link. Swaybar’ tierod, and now I’m thinking of changing the actual wheel hun(wheel bearings) it’s making that anoying noise when I️ speed up’ but besides that working on this cars it’s pretty easy. As long as u have the tools. It took my about a week to find a triple square key that no one had over here. I️ had to buy a whole set. And yeah just mainly tools. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk