GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

US Golf R Review (Motor Trend)

mkv1987

^ agreed. I had a mkv gti stg 2 plus/w water meth. Now i have a golf R. Did my mkv pull harder yes, but i raced my buddy in a stage 2 plus apr/w diff and pulled on him instanly. All my R has is an intake. People will say that the R is a glorified GTI but i can say that the R is a great value when you break it down. Throw 2 grand into an R have over 300 horse and toque to the wheels. lets see a GTI do that

Halvie

WOOSA
^ agreed. I had a mkv gti stg 2 plus/w water meth. Now i have a golf R. Did my mkv pull harder yes, but i raced my buddy in a stage 2 plus apr/w diff and pulled on him instanly. All my R has is an intake. People will say that the R is a glorified GTI but i can say that the R is a great value when you break it down. Throw 2 grand into an R have over 300 horse and toque to the wheels. lets see a GTI do that

There won't be nearly as many jabs taken at the R (especially from myself) once the BT kits get revised. Can't imagine they won't. Doubt many tts get moved over here. Now that there is a bigger market for that engine some more impressive "high hp" stuff should get released(whatever that picture APR posted a while ago with a fsi using the tsi fueling system...something like that). There have been several impressive builds using the engine, but they are all out of the country / one offs regular guys will never see.

McQueen77

Banned
its weird the R has gotten such mixed reviews and everything when the R32 is so beloved and missed..

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
its weird the R has gotten such mixed reviews and everything when the R32 is so beloved and missed..

R32 is beloved and missed now, but it was getting mixed reviews as well. Lots of bitching about 2 doors, no DSG, it being heavy, price, and other stuff. After a while it got old and people started appreciating it for what it is. Give it time, same thing will happen to the R. The R is a badass car, but you can't make a car to please everybody. It's still new, so everybody has to debate it out.

I was on the list for one, and if I didn't get an Autobahn for exactly $10k less than the R I was waiting for, I would probably be driving one now.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
R32 was loved by the owners and enthusiasts "only" - no MT option, no 4dr option in the US, but the rest of the world had those options. It was priced high for the competition - there are some similiarities this time around as well, but I feel its already selling better (last one didnt) and having the turbo and 4dr availability is also very nice. But yes, overall the MKV R32 wasnt really loved by everyone either.... this one should do better.

GTITX1

Ready to race!
I was checking out the R32 that didn't have the MT option years ago when shopping for a new car (didn't go VW), and I remember everyone bitching that it was only DSG and the million and one other things wrong with it. Funny thing is, when I was shopping that time, I would have gone R32 if there was a MT option, and this time around, I would have bought the R had it had a DSG option. Funny how a wife and a kid changes everything :) If only I could live my life in reverse, I would be in VW heaven.

ToddMcF2002

Passed Driver's Ed
Good point about the R32. In case anyone cares - the Evo X was hated on release and the forums were a flame zone. Slower than the STi and too heavy. The IX was better. The VIII was better. A year later and lots of mods and it became a hero car.

Candy Coated Comet VW

Ready to race!
Good point about the R32. In case anyone cares - the Evo X was hated on release and the forums were a flame zone. Slower than the STi and too heavy. The IX was better. The VIII was better. A year later and lots of mods and it became a hero car.

^That's all it takes parts are out there for the R. The STI hatch got shit on and now I see more of them then sedan.

Blue Beast