GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 MK7 vs Stage 2 MK6

MilkyMk7

Ready to race!
My friend has a mk6 apr stg 2+ and I have an mk7 apr stg 1 both cars 6sp manual and 4 door. We did some pulls when i was stock and he was stage 1+ and he would pull away everytime. Once I went stage 1 apr and he went stg 2 apr it was a totally different story. When we did some pulls on the hwy the car lengths between us increased by the second.

The mk6 stg2 doesn't come close to a Mk7 stg 1.

Also doing some lower speed pulls where the torque really come into play it's even more evident (if I could get the power to the ground)

Mk6 stg2 gti = 300tq claimed
Mk7 stg 1 gti = 38tq claimed

I'll see if I can get some videos of us doing that again but with the weather right now it might have to wait.

MilkyMk7

Ready to race!
My friend has a mk6 apr stg 2+ and I have an mk7 apr stg 1 both cars 6sp manual and 4 door. We did some pulls when i was stock and he was stage 1+ and he would pull away everytime. Once I went stage 1 apr and he went stg 2 apr it was a totally different story. When we did some pulls on the hwy the car lengths between us increased by the second.

Also doing some lower speed pulls where the torque really come into play it's even more evident (if I could get the power to the ground)

I'll see if I can get some videos of us doing that again but with the weather right now it might have to wait.
I forgot to mention both of us running 94 tune

MelowGTI

Ready to race!

stage 2+ or stage 2??? wrote two different things

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
stage 2+ or stage 2??? wrote two different things

He used 300tq which is what APR says for Stage 2 so I'm guessing that's what he meant.

I'll try to get a pull in the spring time with my brother APR stage 1 MK6 against my JB1 MK7, but honestly it's not going to be much of a race. The JB1 MK7 is significantly faster. The longer gearing helps loads with traction and speed in general too

MelowGTI

Ready to race!
He used 300tq which is what APR says for Stage 2 so I'm guessing that's what he meant.

I'll try to get a pull in the spring time with my brother APR stage 1 MK6 against my JB1 MK7, but honestly it's not going to be much of a race. The JB1 MK7 is significantly faster. The longer gearing helps loads with traction and speed in general too

maybe, it will sadden me if stage 2 mk6 wont beat mk7 stage 1

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
maybe, it will sadden me if stage 2 mk6 wont beat mk7 stage 1

I'd be very, very surprised if a stage 2 Mk6 could pull a Stage 1 MK7 to be perfectly honest. There is a big difference between mine and my brothers car already and I don't even have a full tune.

MelowGTI

Ready to race!
I'd be very, very surprised if a stage 2 Mk6 could pull a Stage 1 MK7 to be perfectly honest. There is a big difference between mine and my brothers car already and I don't even have a full tune.

What are your brothers exact mods? wish you were near me, i'd run ya

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
I'm pretty surprised anyone thought a MK6 with stock turbo stage 2 with intake, exhaust, intercooler, would be even close to stage 1 MK7. Not the same engine, not the same turbo.

MK7 has variable valve lift which is one reason it can spool the turbo so early and make loads of torque down low.

MK7 has a larger turbo than MK6, by quite a bit on the turbine side especially:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84398

Our MK6s are just not in the same league as the MK7. At least we're not neutered like the latest gen GLI.

Those dying turbos though, I'd be a little more nervous running a tune on the MK7 than the MK6 for sure.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
I'm pretty surprised anyone thought a MK6 with stock turbo stage 2 with intake, exhaust, intercooler, would be even close to stage 1 MK7. Not the same engine, not the same turbo.

MK7 has variable valve lift which is one reason it can spool the turbo so early and make loads of torque down low.

MK7 has a larger turbo than MK6, by quite a bit on the turbine side especially:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84398

Our MK6s are just not in the same league as the MK7. At least we're not neutered like the latest gen GLI.

Those dying turbos though, I'd be a little more nervous running a tune on the MK7 than the MK6 for sure.

Hahahah I'm gonna start putting in my sig "THE MK7 TURBOS HAVE BEEN FIXED".

They fixed them about a half a year ago. They are now just as reliable as the old K03's. I agree with you completely. I doubt a full-bolt on Stage 2 MK6 could keep up with just a Stage 1 MK7. It's down to the new engine, increased turbo size, reduced weight, and longer gears.

MelowGTI

Ready to race!
Hahahah I'm gonna start putting in my sig "THE MK7 TURBOS HAVE BEEN FIXED".

They fixed them about a half a year ago. They are now just as reliable as the old K03's. I agree with you completely. I doubt a full-bolt on Stage 2 MK6 could keep up with just a Stage 1 MK7. It's down to the new engine, increased turbo size, reduced weight, and longer gears.

Lets see a video!!!

DarienMidnight

Ready to race!
strangely i run a apr stage 2 mk6 gti with DSG and my friend has a stock mk7 gti manual. the race was MUCH closer than i anticipated. really wondering if my car is just getting weak

avni

Ready to race!
I've always believed the mk6 looked better...the mk7 been growing on me.

AUDI PLZ SEND S4 AVANT PLZ

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Just here to say when I was a stage 1 Apr mk7 it was a pretty close match to a very well setup ko4 6. The 6 won but it wasn't freight training me. Stage2 mo6 is kind of the opposite where the stage 1 7 pulls but not by an absurd amount.

Sandbagger1

Passed Driver's Ed
My son has a APR V3.1 K04 MK6 with APRs TCU, intercooler, intake, and catback system. I have a APR stage 1 DSG Mk7. The two GTIs are neck to neck until about 80 mph and then the MK6 starts to pull away.