• Differential Upgrade

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Wait and Do Both / Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
I want y’alls opinion on which route I should go with my build first?

2013 GTI 4-Door DSG.

Currently Stage 2 Stratified Pro-tuned. Approaching 70k miles and in the next few months I’ll replacing tires and brakes. I plan on going with Continental ControlContact Sports 225/40ZR18s and Stoptech Street Kit that comes with both F/R pads and calipers. Also going to do TyrolSport’s caliper stiffening kit + SS lines. Used the same brake kit back when I had a Evo X(rip) thought it worked well. Around the time brakes and tires are done I want to do some other upgrades. Car is a street car, I commute 4 days a week 80mi roundtrip to school. NVH doesn’t really concern me. Car will eventually be tracked and taken to the drag strip. Also eventually plan on coilovers Bilstein b14/b16 or KW V2/V3s, ok with stock height for now.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...YR8ECSXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

https://www.vividracing.com/catalog...slotted-wheel-front-and-rear-p-151624221.html

A.
034 Billet Dogbone Mount
034 Motor Mount Pair (Street)
HPA 75A Puck
TyrolSport Deadset Rigid Subframe Collar Kit
TyrolSport Deadset Subframe Kit Rear
H&R 28/24 Sway Bar Kit
SuperPro F/R End Link Kit
SuperPro ALK or SuperPro Control Arm & ALK kit
Whiteline Rear Trailing Arm Front Bushings

or

B.
Wavetrac O2e Lsd 25T
DSG Bearing Kit
Excelerate (Iabed) Rear Main Seal Kit
Bolts
+other necessary parts
Upgraded dsg filter, fluids

All the suspension parts/mounts would be installed by myself and my granddad’s mechanic friend who lets me use his lift and shop. The lsd of course will require professional install I’m guessing somewhere between $600-1000. I welcome any advice, suggestions for alternative parts/reasoning. Both routes run similar in price with labor factored in. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
I think once you do the suspension upgrades, especially the ALK or bushings, you won't really have a need for the differential. I was debating this for awhile, but the front end really hooks up with the other mods. I also run 235/40R18 to get a little more meat on the road.

rawag77

Ready to race!
This is a tough decision. I've got a clutch sitting in my garage waiting to be installed and i can't decide if i should LSD at the same time too. It's a huge added expense, at almost $2k (LSD + install) on top of the clutch+install.

Fortunately, i have almost everything done in your group A already plus DG springs with Bilstein shocks. I daily drive it about 60 miles a day, and it's not bad even with Austin's crappy roads.

In your situation, i'd probably do all of the suspension stuff before an LSD. I think you'd get more bang for your buck.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
I vote suspension.

However do you ever plan on going to the track or taking the car beyond stage 2??

I think once you do the suspension upgrades, especially the ALK or bushings, you won't really have a need for the differential. I was debating this for awhile, but the front end really hooks up with the other mods. I also run 235/40R18 to get a little more meat on the road.

I agree!

I don't think any serious modder wouldn't jump at the chance to install a LSD (if funds allowed,) but I think its a better investment if you ever plan on taking your car to Stage 4. Basically, when the front wheels are much closer to their limits of traction with all supporting suspension mods and good grippy tires.

Last edited:

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Lightweight rims also help with traction. I was surprised by that when I got mine

intellistar

Ready to race!
LSD is the way to go. XDS simply doesn't cut it, and there is really no negative impact to ride quality. I know NVH is subjective, but I don't really see how Option A fits into wanting to keep it civilized enough for grandparents.

If wheel hop is an issue, I would look into B6 dampers prior to going all out with the drivetrain mods (if again the goal is a civilized ride).

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I had wheel hop even with the W.A.L.K. Kit. Lightweight rims got rid of it entirely

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
I vote suspension.

A LSD would be nice, but are you really experiencing wheel slippage going through the gears @ stage 2? To a notice that you're not getting power down?

Getting a fair amount of wheel spin currently. I know new tires will help. I expect it in first gear but have been getting in at the top of 2nd into 3rd. Raced a modded mkv a while back, I should of pulled on him but no traction. Can't wait to get rid of these all seasons, they are continental controlcontact a/s.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
I had wheel hop even with the W.A.L.K. Kit. Lightweight rims got rid of it entirely

I'm planning on lightweight wheels. I've narrowed it down to a few options, but also want to fit a bbk without spacers. Probably gonna get stoptech st40 or 41.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
LSD is the way to go. XDS simply doesn't cut it, and there is really no negative impact to ride quality. I know NVH is subjective, but I don't really see how Option A fits into wanting to keep it civilized enough for grandparents.

If wheel hop is an issue, I would look into B6 dampers prior to going all out with the drivetrain mods (if again the goal is a civilized ride).

My grandparents have given up on my car addiction lol. I'm was gonna get 034 track mounts, but decided they are overkill on a DD. My grandad doesn't care he drove my Evo around for a year while lived out of state. So forget that comment lol, I'll remove it. Civilized by my standpoint is basically not a track car but almost.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I'm planning on lightweight wheels. I've narrowed it down to a few options, but also want to fit a bbk without spacers. Probably gonna get stoptech st40 or 41.

Oh nice! I’m still on the fence for a bbk. I want to try to get away without one. I hear that the stock calipers are strong enough to lock up the rotors but the issue is heat. They can overheat on track days. Not sure if I’ll ever do a legit track day. I’m going to start autocross this season.

So I have done everything I can to help the stock calipers. SS lines, slotted stoptech rotors with stoptech pads, stiffening kit. And I gotta reflush the brake fluid as I was having issues with the pump making a good seal on the brake fluid revisor

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Definitely suspension first. Don't forget about the LSD down the road though. Having an LSD in a a properly setup car is a complete game changer. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

I agree Lsd is permanently on the build list. They just cost so much once you factor in install and additional parts.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for all the feedback so far. Most everyone seems to be leaning towards suspension upgrades.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Getting a fair amount of wheel spin currently. I know new tires will help. I expect it in first gear but have been getting in at the top of 2nd into 3rd. Raced a modded mkv a while back, I should of pulled on him but no traction. Can't wait to get rid of these all seasons, they are continental controlcontact a/s.

I hope you aren't on those awful pzeros! And yeah, new rubbah will be like night and day.

Though, it also sounds like your tune is aggressive! Do you still have your dyno sheet?