GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is VW-USA no longer importing the Sportwagen?

Tarwheel

Ready to race!
I took my Golf 2.5 up to my VW dealer in December for its annual inspection and service, and while there I went to peruse the Sportwagens. The dealer had none in stock except for the Alltrack model. When I asked a salesman about it, he said VW is no longer importing the regular Sportwagens to the USA, only the Alltracks.

Does anyone know if this is correct? When I checked the VW website, it still shows the Sportwagen as an available model, but the site only shows 2017 models. VW has lost me as a customer if it is only selling the Alltrack wagons. I've had my Golf for 5 years and planned to upgrade to a Sportwagen for my next car, but I would probably buy a proven Subaru Outback over a VW Alltrack if I was looking for an all wheel drive wagon. The Subaru is less expensive, more widely available, has a better resale value and it's been around for a long time.

Desertnate

Passed Driver's Ed
That sounds rather odd. I could see two things going on.

1) The dealer doesn't know better and they just happen to not stock/order non-Alltrack wagons in your area. That is the case for me. If any car, from any manufacturer is available in AWD and FWD/RWD, the dealers exclusively stock AWD and most won't even try to order one with the better drive train for you.

2) VW has given in to public pressure and caters to the typical American who feels they need AWD in order to safely drive any time the pavement isn't warm and dry. Jacked up, AWD versions of cars masquerading as SUV/CUV's seems to be the only way the American motoring public will buy a car.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
Im not sure if the salesman was correct or not but I feel your pain. Id pick a subaru over the alltrack. Not an attractive looking car. Not seeing the 2018 option available on the webiste is a little worrisome but call some other dealers and see what they say.

Jaber

Modero
Checked our local dealer and they have 0 in inventory. They have 11 All Tracks and 89 Tiguans. When you drive by it, all you see are a few Atla's and a shit ton of Tiguans.

zrickety

The Fixer
Might be related to the Golf R delay. The vw website still has 2016 and 2017 for the GTI and R. The 18 GTI are just now arriving at dealers.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I don't even see regular golfs at either of my local VW dealers. They have a few GTIs, but that's it, and all the alltracks are 2017s.

lukesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
My old man is considering the 2017 sportwagon. Theres alot of good deals around 15K for them.

CHerna

Ready to race!
Might be related to the Golf R delay. The vw website still has 2016 and 2017 for the GTI and R. The 18 GTI are just now arriving at dealers.

I wonder what the hell is taking so long. Canada has had them for months. In fucking awesome colors too!