GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI to Golf R?

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Considering "upgrading" from a DSG GTI to a Golf R. The dealer lots have a ton of them right now. Starting offers are $2000 under sticker, but im looking for $3k or better.

Any other main advantages aside from these:

-AWD
-Brakes

and minor things:

-climate control
-TFSI engine quieter than the TSI aka belt drive instead of chain
-nice exhaust setup

random concerns:

-anyone driven both back to back to check the clutch weight? is it heavier/stiffer on the golf r?
-cam follower not improved from older FSI's?
-leaky PCV setup still an issue on this FSI?

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
Considering "upgrading" from a DSG GTI to a Golf R. The dealer lots have a ton of them right now. Starting offers are $2000 under sticker, but im looking for $3k or better.

Any other main advantages aside from these:

-AWD
-Brakes

and minor things:

-climate control
-TFSI engine quieter than the TSI aka belt drive instead of chain
-nice exhaust setup

random concerns:

-anyone driven both back to back to check the clutch weight? is it heavier/stiffer on the golf r?
-cam follower not improved from older FSI's?
-leaky PCV setup still an issue on this FSI?
old issues fixed with better internals and other stuff which made it reliable compared to the older FSI. i may be wrong, but i think 2k below MSRP is fair. clutch is somewhat the same with the GTI.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I traded a 2009 GTI for my R. The clutch isn't really heavier, but the takeup is more crisp. Climate control is nice, the seats are better - but I don't get why they took out the power lumbar adjustment and gave them power recliners with mechanical height and fore/aft. Just make it either all power or all manual. The R's suspension is better, the headlights are a lot better. Haldex IV works very well. The 50 extra horsepowers are nice, too. Plus it's the S3 engine, so you get forged pistons, strengthened rods, strengthened block, K04, better injectors, etc.

If you can get one for $32-33k, do it. That's not much more than you'll pay for a GTI Autobahn.

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Excellent link above!

I had a 2010 GTI with DSG also, it was K04 equipped with 313 whp. I test drove a R just for fun one day and some of the first things I noticed were:

Much better brakes!!!
Heavier feeling
Awesome interior!
Sure footed
Smoother power
Nice suspension! Feels smoother over bumps!

So I had to have it!

I didn't buy the one I test drove but the one I did eventually get was another 2 door.
To me, and me alone I thing the shifter sucks!!! Way to notchy and rubbery! I put in shifter bushings and it helped but the notchy feeling is still there. I miss full engagement of 3rd and 4th a lot! I do think it's a problem with my car alone though.

I have already gone with APR Stage 1+ so my R as almost as fast as my GTI was.

Overall, I like it better! As soon as the snow hits I'll know more!

Only thing I miss is the "floor it in third and light up the tires!" feeling.

Sucks that we only get a manual here though, I'd of gone with the DSG in an instant!

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, the shifter in mine isn't great either. I chalk it up to still being new, but it's frustrating to miss 2nd or 3rd accelerating into traffic. Hopefully it'll smooth out over time.

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, the shifter in mine isn't great either. I chalk it up to still being new, but it's frustrating to miss 2nd or 3rd accelerating into traffic. Hopefully it'll smooth out over time.

No kidding? You also??

Mine feels like it needs 2 very noticeable "clicks" when going into gear and sometimes only has one. I've caught it most times and didn't grind.
Re adjusted the linkage with no results.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
but where it stops making sense is when i add $10k more debt and $100 more a month in payments..

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
No one but you can tell you whether it's worth it. I will say, though, that as a financial decision, buying any car doesn't make sense.

DummyBear

Ready to race!
i think the shifter will get better as you put more miles on it. when shifting from 2-3rd, u simply have to give it a light upward push and it will automatically go into 3rd and same for 3rd to 4th, just a light downward push.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
No one mentioned K04 vs IHI? It has a bigger turbo!

No kidding? You also??

Mine feels like it needs 2 very noticeable "clicks" when going into gear and sometimes only has one. I've caught it most times and didn't grind.
Re adjusted the linkage with no results.
I have the two clicks also. Kind of weird. I never miss second though... then again, I don't get on 1st gear hard at all.

EvoKnvl

Ready to race!
...- but I don't get why they took out the power lumbar adjustment and gave them power recliners with mechanical height and fore/aft. Just make it either all power or all manual.

Did you go from a 2 dr to a 4 dr? 2 door gets power lumbar. Manual recline. 4 dr gets power recline, manual lumbar...

PzKpfw MKVI

I will let you know in a week or so, I have a new 2013 R on its way to replace a lemon 2012 2door CW GTI with a DSG.