GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR K04 Golf GTI: dyno 396hp/528Nm APR 100oct flash + 3 intake comparison + video!

andrei_don

Hello!

Here is my 09' VW Golf GTI MK6 DSG.

Current specs:
- APR Carbonio intake stage1
- APR K04 turbo kit
- THS intecooler kit
- Ultimate Racing catless resonated downpipe
- APR RSC catback
- APR V2.0 Software(91,93,100oct)

Dyno pulls were done on SuperFlow dyno (http://www.superflow.com/) that's capable of measuring actual tranny losses

With Modshack VDTA intake

Modshack VTDA intake draw some skepticism due to fairly small universal K&N used in these intakes. I liked this intakes setup because it’s one of the quietest if not THE quietest intake on the market. Modshack’s low price didn’t hurt either.

There were also 2 more intakes on hand at Morendi – the dyno shop and one of APR dealers in Moscow. We had a chance to test Modshack vs. VW Racing (ITG) and APR\Carbonio and see is there is (if any) difference between 3 of them.

So the plan was to do 3 runs on each intake, take 10-15 minutes for engine to cool down and swap out the intakes and continue with the next intake. Personally, I was pretty skeptical and did not expect to see any gains beyond 4-5 hp:

Modshack VDTA- K&N cone filter
APR Carbonio- K&N round straight filter
VW Racing- cone filter

The results were pretty surprising for us – see below:

This intake was loudest on the dyno and I was pretty sure it would be most effective in terms of power gains. Turned out… I was wrong. It posted lowest HP gain but did post some respectful torque and also resulted in best spool time! I personally think the fairly low numbers come down to the filter element used as it is probably more restrictive than a typical K&N. It does look the business though with its track-inspired design.

This intake was making a noise that could be described as “hissing” thanks to its slot-like opening but the end-result was mind-blowing… Its filter element has the largest surface area and that, coupled with thermal insulation properties of its carbon fiber housing resulted in significant gains over VW Racing intake – APR\Carbonio posted a 17hp! Needless to say, the visual aspect is just something special compared to other intakes.

Overlay of all 3 intakes’ dyno plots

And the end-result – APR K04 100 octane (RON) run:

I am very happy with the results!! As with intakes, I was pretty skeptical with running 100 octane gas – I was expecting to see something in the 15-20hp neighborhood. Obviously, the software has also been adjusted to run 100 RON gas, otherwise there’s no way we would’ve seen almost 400hp. I was a bit uneasy running 100 octane gas so I had an EGT sensor installed “just in case”

We were all very relieved to see the EGT numbers not creeping higher than 800 degrees, even after 3 back-to-back runs on the dyno. The temperature remained below 810 degrees even after a couple of back-to-back 100-200 kmh runs through 2-3-4-5 gears all the way through redline – this just proved the software as well as gas quality.

So we decided to give it a try in real life and make some runs vs. some of the popular cars that we have over here.

Here are some videos:

Dyno

100-200km/h = 9,6-9,7sec for example BMW M3 E92 100-200km/h = 10,7-10,8 :)

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
That's a very nice write-up, I appreciate the data and nice pictures and videos. :thumbsup:

andrei_don

Thanks for reviews!:thumbsup:

OZ vs Stock R18 Rims weight:

:D unsprung weight

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
pretty cool. makes sense that the intake and software are designed around each other. which clutch are you running?

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
lol @ 400hp

I have a dyno saying my car has over 900ft/lbs of torque at 1000rpms, want me to post that up?

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
So these HP numbers are theoretical crankshaft numbers based on what percent of drivetrain loss?

Looks like:

1. APR Carbonio: 365.9hp/349.24tq
  2. Modshack: 354.5hp/349.75tq
  3. VWR: 349.0hp/351.37tq

Looks like the Carbonio is worth the added noise that some perceive. Thanks for the great comparison!

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
I'd like to see numbers of K04 on 91 octane with Carbonio and APR TBE.