GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Radio stays on after car turns off

MK6BRO

Passed Driver's Ed
I just installed a system in my car but had to take it out because I could not figure out why the radio stayed on after my car turns off. Some people said just turn it off manually but there was times I forgot and my car battery died.

I'm trying to avoid this and make it turn off with the car like the stock radio does. I googled it a little bit and people said you have to hack into the fuse box and do something in there. That seems rather complicated for a simple issue, is there just a different colored wire I could connect that would fix this?

zrickety

The Fixer
Your harness is not wired up correctly. There should be a red wire that goes off with the ignition and the door open. Yellow is the only one with constant power. Everything is behind the radio, no need to touch the fuse box.

GTIx

Passed Driver's Ed
I tapped into a fuse box for the ignition wire using a piggy back fuse insert you get at the suto parts store. The oem stereo wires stay hot unless you invest in that expensive wire harnes that can utilize the oem ignition. It's super easy to fix for $3 or so.