GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP: o2 sensor wire torn. Need advice asap

ray_futbol

Passed Driver's Ed
Recently went over an ultra bumpy road, o2 wire came out of the clips and dragged on the road. After it shredded, engine light came on. Car runs fine.

Now what do i do? Dealer said to do part #1K0998262E $300 Canadian, another shop said to do the same.

Or should I replace it with part #16986 which I can get for $90? (Someone told me that the sensor is the same but has a different connection)

I need your opinions.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
two shops told me its a possibility but no guarantee's. id rather not waste my money on something that isn't guaranteed. its been dragging for like 2 weeks now :confused:

solder it yourself just get shrink wrap with the glue in it. There are also solder-less crimp connectors with the glue which you can try on your own first if you do not know how/comfortable to solder.

Basically strip, clean if needed, crimp and heat it up to melt the glue. then take some weather seal electrical tape, wrap it up, heat that a lil bit and done. And save at least $275ca

Type (F) in Blue 14-16ga - http://www.mcmaster.com/#7227K63

This on the whole think after prob the .5" one http://www.mcmaster.com/#heat-shrink-tubing/=rnspmv

Last edited:

UNFOGIVABLE

Go Kart Champion
^ This.

This is what I did with my ABS sensor wires. Just disconnect the battery and go for it.
make sure you tuck it up there when its all done.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I would repair the wires... If it were me, I'd remove the sensor and connector from the car and then repair on a bench. I bought a universal bosch o2 sensor kit and essentially did just that (splice/connect wires).

jy7347

Passed Driver's Ed
since its so expensive to replace one, i would just solder the wires back together, its a relatively easy job, just match the wire colors! nothing complicated. if u dono how to solder it, just get a frd or any handy man to solder it for u!

matthewr

What id you end up doing? I have done the same thing to the O2 sensor on my Mk 6 Golf R, also driving on dirt roads, and had the dealership replace the O2 sensor. They did and the check engine light came on AGAIN a few kilometres later. After a few DAYS of diagnostics, they have concluded that the torn wire shorted out part of the ECU, and now I apparently need to get that replaced as well. Makes the O2 sensor look cheap!!!