GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacement axles -

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Surprisingly when I searched, I didn't come up with a whole lot. A few mentions of EMPI and Raxles, but not actual opinions.

My car just rolled over 100,000 miles, and the driver-side inner CV boot slipped off the assembly. This is actually the second time, and this week I began to notice a metal-on-metal grinding sound when I turn ... so I'm thinking I'm just going to replace the entire assembly.

Anyone have any opinions on OEM vs Raxles? Or even EMPI for that matter, but I'm a strong believer in "you get what you pay for" and the EMPI price point makes me nervous.

dopedpanda

Ready to race!
Surprisingly when I searched, I didn't come up with a whole lot. A few mentions of EMPI and Raxles, but not actual opinions.

My car just rolled over 100,000 miles, and the driver-side inner CV boot slipped off the assembly. This is actually the second time, and this week I began to notice a metal-on-metal grinding sound when I turn ... so I'm thinking I'm just going to replace the entire assembly.

Anyone have any opinions on OEM vs Raxles? Or even EMPI for that matter, but I'm a strong believer in "you get what you pay for" and the EMPI price point makes me nervous.

why not just replace the worn joint? You keep your perfectly balanced axle and you solve the problem.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
why not just replace the worn joint? You keep your perfectly balanced axle and you solve the problem.

Hmmm. Really I was just thinking I've got 100k miles on the original axles, and don't know what the life expectancy is on them...

But if that's just a waste of money, then yeah I could definitely just replace the joint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dopedpanda

Ready to race!
Just taking a quick look at prices though, and the inner joint seems to be almost as much money as a whole axle assembly :/

Pricing OEM or OE?

Remember OE axles are designed in a very specific way to limit NVH at all speeds/loads, most aftermarket goes a different way to limit costs. And not always with a good outcome....

The inner joint shouldn´t cost that much, its normally the outer joint thats the most expensive.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
ECS has the OEM axle assemble at about $250 after core refund -- and the OEM inner CV joint for $200.

Still price shopping.

Also, do I need any special tools to rebuild the axle with a new joint? This will be done at home.