GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Modes

GlutenBoy

Passed Driver's Ed
If I understand correctly the DSG Auto transmission (in the GTi) as 3 mode:

D (for Drive I guess): Up-shift around 3000 rpm, and you can override it with the paddles behind the steering wheel.

S (Sport): Up-shift around red line, and you can override it with the paddles behind the steering wheel.

Manual: No auto shift, must shift with the stick, but you CAN'T shift with the paddles behind the steering wheel! <--- I hope I'm wrong with this one. If not why so, why don't they allow shifting with the paddles in manual mode?

Looking to by a 2010 GTI

Thanks

zee

Go Kart Champion
I hope this is right too.:D

Both the gear knob and paddle shift works in manual mode.

wikipedia said:
"D" mode : The DSG works in fully automatic mode, with emphasis placed on gear shifts programmed to deliver maximum fuel economy. That means that shifts will change up and down very early in the rev-range.

"S" mode : Sport mode still functions as a fully automatic mode, identical in operation to "D" mode, but upshifts and downshifts are made much higher up the engine rev-range. This aids a more sporty driving manner, by utilising considerably more of the available engine power, and also maximising engine braking. However, this mode does have a detrimental effect on the vehicle fuel consumption, when compared to D mode.

Paddle shifters : The driver can safely keep both hands on the steering wheel when using the Manual mode; The driver can also immediately manually override either of the automatic programmes (D or S) on a temporary basis, and gain instant manual control of the DSG box. The DSG box will "default" back to the previously selected automatic mode(D or S) after a predetermined duration of inactivity of the paddles, or when the car becomes stationary.

Manual mode : Additionally, the floor shift lever also has another plane of operation, for manual mode, with spring-loaded "+" and "−" positions. This plane is selected by moving the stick away from the driver (in vehicles with the driver's seat on the right, the lever is pushed to the left, and in left-hand drive cars, the stick is pushed to the right) when in "D" mode only. When this plane is selected, the DSG can now be controlled like a manual gearbox.
When accelerating in Manual mode, the DSG will still automatically change up just before the redline, and when decelerating, it will change down automatically at very low revs, just before the engine idle speed (tickover). Furthermore, if the driver calls for a gear when it is not appropriate (i.e., engine speed near the redline, and a down change is requested) the DSG will not change to the driver's requested gear.

Last edited:

GlutenBoy

Passed Driver's Ed
Ah! For some reason I missed that line on Wikipedia "Paddle shifters : The driver can safely keep both hands on the steering wheel when using the Manual mode;".

Also a vendor told me the wrong info when I looked at the 2009 GTI a couple of months ago.