GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VWR CAI vs. Carbonio intake for Golf R

speerjam2000

Newbie questions....

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum; just picked up a 2012 R. I wanted to know can I install the Carbonio intake without a tune? Also, would you mind telling me what the part #'s were for your R?

Thanks!!

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Vwr will definitely give out more gains up top, but will be much louder and will diminish low-end drivability.
Carbonio being more an upgrade to the stock system rather than a true cai will give out less high end gains, but will maintain and improve oem low end drivability, will b more discreet and keep ur engine cover. It depends on ur personal preference. I tried a twintake but ended up keeping the carbonio cause that's what i prefer. What i sacrificed up top removing the twintake was compensated by a DP, plus the low end drivability of the carbonio.
On a stage 1 tune my logs with carbonio have shown an improvement of 9 Nm-crank over stock intake at the red line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9V7W3

Ready to race!
I never tried the Carbino, but everyone I talked to (including the guy who runs the service department at my dealer) told me to go with the VWR.. So I did, and couldn't be happier. First of all (of course this is a matter of opinion) I don't think it's too loud at all. I'm @ stage 2+ with the full APR RSC exhaust and all I keep hearing from everyone who hears the car is how amazing it sounds. You do clearly hear the DV, but it's nowhere near as obnoxious as a straight BOV. There was an acquaintance through a friend trying to race me the other day in a Mazda3 who had the loudest BOV I've ever heard.. I declined the drag, but when we left, my friend in the car turned to me and said "see, at least your car sounds powerful under load, but controlled and classy... he just sounds like an idiot."

As far as drivability.. I could see if you were not planning on going stage 2 for a while how the low end might be a problem, but I went from stock to stage 2+ in one afternoon, and with all that extra punch it's not a problem for me at all. It feels like its an extremely smooth delivery of power over the whole range.. At least compared to other modified boosted cars I've owned.

webcrawlr

Ready to race!
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-Modifications-for-Hardcore-Enthusiasts/page5

This guy kept the stock filter in and measured the difference from the Carbonio scoop and showed that's where majority of the gains come from.

Carbonio supplies you with a piper cross foam filter which is superior to any K&N style filter. The K&N has a border on the edges and that prohibits flow in the engine cover.

Mike did great testing and clearly showed that the stock setup is indeed restrictive. The Carbonio helped with that but a restriction remained in stock form. Slap a tune on there and it gets worse quick, BSH proved that with their insane gains from just adding an intake. A high flow air filter in the stock air box is a band-aid.

It's a shame he never posted MAF reading for those tests as those and readings from the same car with a VWR intake would have really told the entire story.

Vwr will definitely give out more gains up top, but will be much louder and will diminish low-end drivability.
Curious as to what low end drivability sacrifice you are referring to and to what type of car. Stock? I've noticed no low end loss at stg 1 - 2+ with a full aftermarket intake.

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Curious as to what low end drivability sacrifice you are referring to and to what type of car. Stock? I've noticed no low end loss at stg 1 - 2+ with a full aftermarket intake.

When i had the forge twintake installed on stage 1 i lost a bit of low end torque (sub 3000rpms) past that point power gains were really excellent though (and better than carbonio). U get to really notice that when u remove the cai. After doing some research and asking the more technically inclined, i was told that it is normal whenever u upgrade to a larger tubing system the turbo needs to draw air from a larger area and will take a bit more effort to spool down low, esp on ko4 (vs ko3). I never tried the vmr but i presume this would logically apply to it as to any true cai. Mind u, if u install a cai directly with other bolt ons such as a hpfp dp etc..this might b compensated for and go un-noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk