GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto6 Clunk

RJB121

Ready to race!
Hey all
Searched around a little but didnt really find much. Have a 2010 Golf 2.5 auto and when slowing down, mostly down shift to first there is sometimes kind of a clunk. The other time i hear it is when I slow down but not to a complete stop (like approaching a stop light and it turns green) and take off again. Any ideas? subframe bolts (but that seemed to be turn related), motor mount? or trans issue? The car was just in for a state inspection and I wanted the 40k fluid/filter done on the trans(listed in owners manual) because I did the rest of the service myself, and they said it didnt need it "its a sealed trans not needed ~100k". They also redid the 40k service so im sure they plugged it in...I know I just said I did the 40k myself, long story short walked out paying for the inspection only and got my new plugs with 900 miles back. Sorry for such a long post...any ideas?

nojorge

I'm pretty sure my 2010 Golf 2.5 auto did this as well (I don't have it anymore - traded up to a GTI, and I haven't noticed the same clunking). In my case, I'm pretty sure it was just normal drivetrain lash from the soft motor mounts. Has it done this since you got it?

burbank2broward

Go Kart Champion
that clunk can mean your subframe bolts are loose.... my girlfriend got into an accident on her mk6 jetta and after the accident there were clunks and she took it back to the dealer and her sub frame bolts were stripped..... go get it checked asap

RJB121

Ready to race!
bought the car used with 29k last year, have noticed it more lately. whats the torque on the subframe bolts I can easily put it on ramps to check them.

jdwilliams11

Hey all
Searched around a little but didnt really find much. Have a 2010 Golf 2.5 auto and when slowing down, mostly down shift to first there is sometimes kind of a clunk. The other time i hear it is when I slow down but not to a complete stop (like approaching a stop light and it turns green) and take off again. Any ideas? subframe bolts (but that seemed to be turn related), motor mount? or trans issue? The car was just in for a state inspection and I wanted the 40k fluid/filter done on the trans(listed in owners manual) because I did the rest of the service myself, and they said it didnt need it "its a sealed trans not needed ~100k". They also redid the 40k service so im sure they plugged it in...I know I just said I did the 40k myself, long story short walked out paying for the inspection only and got my new plugs with 900 miles back. Sorry for such a long post...any ideas?

The problem is with the transmission. I had a Tiguan with the same auto 6. It's nothing serious, just needs to be reported to the dealership. They say that the transmission may need some fine tuning over time and in order to call attention to corporate VW, they need a certain level or reported claims. So take your car to the dealer and tell them to scan the tranny and reprogram it. My dealer orignally thought the motor mounts were bad, so they replaced them (under warranty, thank God!), but when problem persisted, they determined it was the transmission downshifting hard into 3rd, 2nd, and 1st.

Vern B

Tranny klunk

Had the same issue with my Tiquan. It would klunk at about 20 KM/HR when slowing down from over 60 KM/HR. It didn't do it in S mode. They applied a software update and all was good.