GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Break In Questions

502fasthatch

Ready to race!
Ok well here's my concerns. I'm am waiting for my local dealer to get the manual and dsg so I can decide. How long should I wait for stg 1 Apr tune inttake,exhaust. I don't wanna be burning oil at 50,000 miles so just for my interest and other dubbers. Thanks..

Last edited:

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
You are safe to tune day one. I wouldn't drive it like an idiot for the first 500 tuned or not.

I did my tune at under 1000 miles I would have done it sooner but the tune had not been released yet. You can "break in" your engine tuned or not. It's just really tempting using all of that extra power as soon as you get it.

JP

502fasthatch

Ready to race!
You are safe to tune day one. I wouldn't drive it like an idiot for the first 500 tuned or not.

I did my tune at under 1000 miles I would have done it sooner but the tune had not been released yet. You can "break in" your engine tuned or not. It's just really tempting using all of that extra power as soon as you get it.

JP

Yeah I'm going to try not to exceed 3k rpm until around 1000 miles. I just figured getting the stage1 tune and carbonio intake and tbe from Apr would be good for the car to break into considering I'm going ko4 stage2

surrealchemist

Ready to race!
Just wait till the sales come around again. Then you won't have to worry about if you are going to break it in or not. Plus when you drive it stock for a while and get used to it and enjoy the car as is the tune suddenly makes it feel like a new car.

502fasthatch

Ready to race!
Just wait till the sales come around again. Then you won't have to worry about if you are going to break it in or not. Plus when you drive it stock for a while and get used to it and enjoy the car as is the tune suddenly makes it feel like a new car.

Sounds like a good idea my local dealer isn't liking the idea of me tuning it so I don't wanna lose my warranty's on anything when I cahn just wait a few and take advantage of those service intervals. I'm paying cash for my gti so I might try to work a deal with them and see if I just can't do what I want with my car.

JBarwick

People are babies with their break-in periods. Wait until it is at proper running temperature and go! You know if you get even a "new" car at a dealer with ~15miles some dipshit has flogged it before that...

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I will say this again, much like what I say in all of these break-in threads:

Once your car leaves the final assembly line and enters functional road testing, it is subjected to BRUTAL standards for redline revving and seal setting. The first 3-10 miles of a cars life is probably some of the toughest it will ever see. EVER! If people knew what we did to their Odyssey/Pilots/Ridgelines, they probably wouldnt buy them. Same as when I worked for Mercedes, $60K+ vehicles being tossed around as if they were toys.

We've had V6 engines here that blow bad seals, head gaskets, etc. etc. right off the line, but thats just an effort to prevent it from happening in the market to you guys. Most of the issue with break in periods now, is just a standard protocol that OEMs are REQUIRED to put in the owner's manual to prevent any feedback from such events. Even if you didnt follow this protocol it would still be covered under warranty. Also consider, most of these issues arose from much ealier model vehicles. Engine Technology is so far advanced now and days that its not an issue anymore.

Its bad enough that our engine group has to create these testing procedures during new model activity, but to place redundant procedures on the hands of customers is quite irrelevant. Actually......to put ANY testing procedure in the hands of the customers is a failure of good OEM preventive engineering.

For the record as well: Futurell placed a APR Stage 3 Kit/LSD/BBK/Clutch on a GTI with 88Miles. Still running strong.

TDI110

O_o

Once your car leaves the final assembly line and enters functional road testing, it is subjected to BRUTAL standards for redline revving and seal setting. The first 3-10 miles of a cars life is probably some of the toughest it will ever see. EVER! If people knew what we did to their Odyssey/Pilots/Ridgelines, they probably wouldnt buy them. Same as when I worked for Mercedes, $60K+ vehicles being tossed around as if they were toys.

We've had V6 engines here that blow bad seals, head gaskets, etc. etc. right off the line, but thats just an effort to prevent it from happening in the market to you guys. Most of the issue with break in periods now, is just a standard protocol that OEMs are REQUIRED to put in the owner's manual to prevent any feedback from such events. Even if you didnt follow this protocol it would still be covered under warranty. Also consider, most of these issues arose from much ealier model vehicles. Engine Technology is so far advanced now and days that its not an issue anymore.

Its bad enough that our engine group has to create these testing procedures during new model activity, but to place redundant procedures on the hands of customers is quite irrelevant. Actually......to put ANY testing procedure in the hands of the customers is a failure of good OEM preventive engineering.

For the record as well: Futurell placed a APR Stage 3 Kit/LSD/BBK/Clutch on a GTI with 88Miles. Still running strong.

This

/thread.

Boggles the mind that people don't use a search function or some common sense these days.

tunerguy1989

Passed Driver's Ed
Test Every unit really??!!

Once your car leaves the final assembly line and enters functional road testing, it is subjected to BRUTAL standards for redline revving and seal setting. The first 3-10 miles of a cars life is probably some of the toughest it will ever see. EVER! .

I don't believe this is true for all cars, I'm sure the manufactures test every engine before dropping them in to the cars but track testing every single unit Not likely, way to much work and to much time. They test a hand full of them to make sure the components work as they should. Once the consumer gets their hands on it other problems may arise and those problems are handled as "Recalls".

My golf was brand spanking new, my trip odometer says 114 miles so does my engine odometer. No one drove my car, it had all the plastic still on it. They just cleaned and prepped it.

As far as breaking in all I heard is don't redline for 1000miles and avoid using you ABS for the same mileage just so everything break-ins properly. I rev past 3000 rpm often enough no problems, mines a TDi so thats pretty high lol.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I don't believe this is true for all cars, I'm sure the manufactures test every engine before dropping them in to the cars but track testing every single unit Not likely, way to much work and to much time. They test a hand full of them to make sure the components work as they should. Once the consumer gets their hands on it other problems may arise and those problems are handled as "Recalls".

My golf was brand spanking new, my trip odometer says 114 miles so does my engine odometer. No one drove my car, it had all the plastic still on it. They just cleaned and prepped it.

Yes, EVERY single car.

I have literally watch these cars drive off the line (At Mercedes US INTL) and onto the rolls test and bump test. 100% Broham. You're confusing track testing for the 2 mile test track scenarios that are only used up at R&D for new model testing.

We do have quality checks that are windnoise, NVH, driver experience, etc. etc. about 10 times a day but thats a different story. That data is collected and measured and analyzed every day.

FYI your ABS is fully broken in as well before it leaves the factory. The ear piercing screech you hear around the rolls test is a very very good indicator of that. Each wheel is tested individually as well as a full reverse up to 15MPH and a HARD stop. 4WD Drive models get an even harder test.

Bump test is done 100% on a roll in 4post shaker after the roll test.

Waterleak testing is done after the roll test to indicate if anything was installed wrong or fell loose during the 4post shaking.

100%. 680 Vehicles a day. All are broken in from the factory. Shipping tape is NOT applied until after all of that happens and the vehicles are handed off to a third party for transport and placed onto trucks and trains.

EDIT: I'm also responsible for many miles on certain customer's vehicle due to various quality and engineering testing. We had some issues that we had to attend to. I probably stayed on that track for about 4-5 hours going back and forth. Shit happens man, and what better way to test whats actually coming off line than to pick one up off the line and do your testing?

OttoBahn1

Ready to race!

^^this ... I've worked for VW/Audi for 30+ years. The turbo cars that have an oil consumption issue later in the life of the car are ones that have been "babied" since day one. In addition to what Grambles said, our cars are purpose built. Their purpose is to be driven hard and driven hard often. New Audi R8s that I take in have a minimum of 40+ miles on them when they come off the truck and those are very hard test miles done at the factory. They can take anything we can throw at them. Enjoy your car, keep up on your maintenances and don't worry.

502fasthatch

Ready to race!
People are babies with their break-in periods. Wait until it is at proper running temperature and go! You know if you get even a "new" car at a dealer with ~15miles some dipshit has flogged it before that...
Yes ive heard about the factory break in but the manual break in is what im weary about just throwing a stage 3 turbo on..

About that video man i watched it plenty times because thats the setup im wanting to buy but this is going to be my daily to and from work and im selling my other dub when i buy this one. I havent seen any other videos of that car futrell did how many miles does it have now any issues?

^^this ... I've worked for VW/Audi for 30+ years. The turbo cars that have an oil consumption issue later in the life of the car are ones that have been "babied" since day one. In addition to what Grambles said, our cars are purpose built. Their purpose is to be driven hard and driven hard often. New Audi R8s that I take in have a minimum of 40+ miles on them when they come off the truck and those are very hard test miles done at the factory. They can take anything we can throw at them. Enjoy your car, keep up on your maintenances and don't worry.
Im nervous though because if i put a tune on it and something goes wrong my dealer wont cover the damage. Thats why im thinking a break in period before tune and even small mods might be nessary just incase there is somthing wrong like dsg transmission

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Yes ive heard about the factory break in but the manual break in is what im weary about just throwing a stage 3 turbo on..
About that video man i watched it plenty times because thats the setup im wanting to buy but this is going to be my daily to and from work and im selling my other dub when i buy this one. I havent seen any other videos of that car futrell did how many miles does it have now any issues?

Refer Below:

Im nervous though because if i put a tune on it and something goes wrong my dealer wont cover the damage. Thats why im thinking a break in period before tune and even small mods might be nessary just incase there is somthing wrong like dsg transmission

If you slap a tune/K04/Stage 3 on from the get go it would be tough to fight with the dealer about warranty. You will have to prove 100% that it wasnt the modification's fault. Manage to do that with my Civic and the SI sway bar. If you need ammo ask us!!

Heres a few pointers if you're worried:

- DSG can handle about 550AWHP (Proven fact with a twin turbo R32)
- Engines are broken in from the factory
- You cant stop the unexpected. If there are known issues, warranty wise, the dealer knows. The problem is having them pay for it. Always ask the forum if you're worried about something. We're usually pretty helpful or at least know the right direction to point you in.
- If it makes you feel comfortable waiting 1500miles to tune, do it. Theres always an emotional factor to these things that will never go away unless you satisfy those mental urges.