GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

California smog check

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
From what I know these are voulentary as well. As GIAC said.

They are designed as quality control checks for authorized smog stations not to catch motorists. They know who did your smog check so they are basically checking the work of the authorized smog station you went to for your cert.

beakgeek

^^^^THIS^^^^^

What I did on my past cars. Now in SoCal they have checkpoints where they check for smog violations. So you pass smog, then go back to modified, drive through LA or San Diego, get in a line for what you think is a Boarder Patrol Check point or something, Next thing you know your being cited.

In California, it just really isn't worth having a modded car any longer. This state really knows how to take the fun out.

Ironically, Mexico which boarders us still burns tires and leaded paint, but guess that doesn't pass into our boarders now does it? So Silly.

Jeff

I drive between SD, and LA all the time for the last 30 years, and never was stopped at any point and smog checked. Never been checked in San Diego, Orange, or LA County ever.

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
I was able to pass CA Smog again with GIAC Stage 2 tune and bolt-ons. :) After consulting with a local Smog shop, printing the bolt-on items which state they are CARB exempt wouldn't fly. They told me to obtain the CARB exempt stickers from the manufacturer and stick them anywhere, but easy to see, in the engine bay. I called Neuspeed and they quickly mailed me the CARB exempt stickers for the P-FLO, Inter-cooler, and both charge pipes. Also, I removed my catch can and placed the OEM PCV hoses back. During the testing at the smog shop I was sweating the most about the SPM DP and like last time I didn't remove it but because my tune shows "readiness" at all times. The smog shop did roll a device (with mirror) under my car during the testing and I assumed they were looking for a modded DP and/or CAT but I think it was a little difficult to view because they didn't tell me anything. (I also purposely went to the smog shop after the sun went down.) I'm pretty stoked it pass again with only minor tweaks (removing catch can) needed. Everyone's situation will most likely be different as it will depend on how heavy your mods are and whether or not they're CARB exempt. The other factor is the smog shop as I read many Google and Yelp reviews to find a shop that didn't refuse modded cars. Good luck!