GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Next VW GTI puts out 210 hp, R version gets AWD and 270 hp!

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
Volkswagen's high-performance plans for the new Golf will spawn three new models, beginning with the new 210 hp GTI set to debut in Paris and go on sale in the middle of 2009. According to Automotive News, the Mk. VI GTI will sprint to 60 in a tick above seven seconds and hit a top speed of around 150 mph.

A performance-oriented diesel Golf, dubbed the GTD, will hit the market in April, putting out around 170 hp from its common-rail diesel, while a range-topping R model, available through Volkswagen Individual, will be churn out 270 hp, send power to all four wheels and will be equipped with an aero package that includes a "black gleaming diffuser." Sales of the R version will begin in November of 2009.

- http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/22/next-vw-gti-puts-out-210-hp-r-version-gets-awd-and-270-hp/

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
No way, a GTD?!

I'm all over that. And here I was, thinking that whenever they brought the TDI Rabbit here, I'd get one and upgrade the suspension/rolling stock to bring it up to GTI status.

This just makes things 10x easier!

Last edited:

Dutchie '781

Passed Driver's Ed
In Europe there is already a 170hp diesel of the Golf V. Called the GT(without I)

acqui

Ready to race!
I am curious as to what the price of the R will be (probably smiliar to that of the R32). Here's hoping it makes it to our shores before 2010.

fastfan

i really wish the new GTI was getting a bit more power than this.

It's difficult because there are physical limitations to the amount of power a front wheel drive car can handle. Usually when you get past about 225 horsepower, cornering performance begins to decline (assuming lack of a limited slip differential and full power is being sent through the front wheels).

Which is why the GTI-R (as well as previous R cars) is all wheel drive.:)

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
As said power is not everything but then again the edition30 and pirelli ltd edition did alright with ~230bhp as do many of the GTIs competition.

Kjyuan

blinded conserving racer
turbo awd :) sexy