GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why Should I get a GTI VI???

Blaze182

Ready to race!
Hi there,

I posted this on another forum, but the MK V forum served me very well, so I thought I'd give the new MK VI forum a shot :D

I love the GTI VI, I think its fantastic. I did at first like the MK V front better, but the VI has grown a lot on me, and it time I got one!!
As I mentioned in the MK V forum, I'm hunting for a new car, and with the MK V on the way out, I didn't want to purchase it... but now the MK VI has come along, and its been worth the wait :D

Sadly my parents done share my enthusiasm. They will be paying for the majority of the car (90%), so they have pretty much THE say when it comes to what car I can, and cannot get.

My father is concerned about safety, and hates fast cars, my mum generally loves everything about the GTI, but has trouble justifying the GTI vs. a Peugeot 308

So, I guess what I'm asking, is can you guys help provide some reasons, from your experiences with the GTI's, why the MK VI is a great car - fun, agile, and is very very safe.

I'm 19 and have been driving a Ford Telstar, never crashed *touch wood* and havent had any trouble with authority *touch wood again*. I'm a safe driver =] Not a stupid one.

So, please, help give me some reasons that my parents can read and see what a truely great car the GTI is.

So please, share some of your experiences with the car and how much injustice a dealer salesman does to the car!!!!

So yeah, I dont mind, pictures, stories, general research, your experience with VW in general, perhaps with your MK V or your VI.... Anything, =] Just help educate them that the GTI isnt a bucket of bolts that parades as a safe pony with a bull under the hood... its actually a quite subtle and well mannered, sophisticated car =] ... ok I'm a little bias :p haha

Blaze182

Ready to race!
Awesome, thats some good stuff Snoopy =] Thanks.

I just went to VW today and pretty much got flattened with the response I recieved.

I contacted late last week VW Head Office Australia and they told me I can expect to see the WV MK VI GTI in stock, in Australia Late first quater of 2009.

I went to the dealer and he told me we wont be seeing the GTI MK VI until 4th quater, 2009.

This really annoys me, lol. Do you think that VW Head office wouldn't have told the dealers it was being released yet? Or is it actually not going to be released till 4th Q?
But that's when the Scirrocco is scheduled for release, late 4th Q 2009, early 1st Q 2010... Wouldnt releasing two ultra hot cars be counter productive to their sales? I thought a year time lapse would have been better for profits, thus would make sense releasing the GTI earlier...

I'm seriously confused if the GTI is actually coming out at the end of 2009... it may as well not be released if the Scirrocco is coming!?? =S

I'm going to recontact head office shortly,but I'd appreciate your thoughts on this...
Keep the GTI praise coming though :D

fastfan

Hey blaze, welcome to the forums.

The Mk VI GTI should really be called the Mk 5.5. Like everyone's been saying, it's more of an evolution than a revolution. The horsepower bump is kinda nice, the white face gauges are a little classier and the black holed Hufeisen rims look a little more edgy.

The front end of the Mk VI looks alot sharper/meaner and more reminicient of the new Scirocco which is kind of cool. You'll also get dual exhausts, which I feel absolutley neutral about. Out back, you'll notice that things get kinda Touareg-ish and this is something I'm still trying to get used to.

As you can tell, VW is basically providing us a buttered up (think better interior quality with a more edgy exterior design) for about the same price (IIRC).

Hope this helps,

-FF

Blaze182

Ready to race!
Yeah, I noticed the Touerag bum, doesnt look to shabby, personally i think its a nice change to the MK V, I hate round tail lights, so for me its ncie =] The angle is a bit sharp, but it grows on ya ;)

The interior of this is fantastic IMO, rivals the Audi now with ease =]

tjay

I'm from Sydney, pretty interested in getting the new GTI mk vi as well. Hope it comes before middle of the year rather than later. Otherwise might just get the standard golf.

Do update on your findings..

Blaze182

Ready to race!
No probz buddy =] heres the update.

I emailed UK and got the GTI brochure ^^ Boorah! Looks fantastic!

Next, I contacted Head Office again, and they gave me a more direct date, saying it should be out On the 30th of April.

Sounds good to me ^^ Prices are to remain similar to the existing GTI.

EDIT:

Do you guys think its worth getting the 3 door over the 5 door?

Is there any size difference in the 3 door and 5 door GTI's? Which would you guys go for? I allways wanted the 3 door, but I cant see enough pics of it in the new model to know if I'll like it or not =/ Any help =] lol, or pics?? ^^

Last edited: