GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI MkVI - Confused about US spec

maolin34

Passed Driver's Ed
I am reading so much conflicting information about the specs of this car for the US and was hoping to clear some things up.

1) Some articles say that engine is all new to the GTI, other say it is a carry-over from previous year with a little more power. Which is it?

2) References to the application of a LSD are superceded by XDS, a system that applies the brakes to a slipping wheel...aka braking traction control.

3) I have also read articles that state that the 2010 suspension is all new or improved...and articles that say it is unchanged.

I am in the market for a new car now, and will need to decide what to do by next month. I am hearing that the MkVI should arrive in the states by September or October, so I obviously can't wait that long.

All that said, if the engine is a carry-over from the 2009 model, and the 2010 does not really have a limited slip differential, with the same suspension, the only changes are really in appearance.

I like the new look of the MkVI, but I already like the look of the MKV. Is it worth the wait over an MKV now?

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
1) In the USA only yes the engine is a carry over as the last year of mk5 production for the american market got the new EA888 engine. It has 200bhp and 207 lb/ft torque. Slightly down on the 207bhp of europe, you won't notice that power difference though.

2)XDS is electronic diff, it acts like an open diff its not as brutal as a full on mecanical diff but it does a similar job but by electronics and braking a wheel.Its much better than the crude TC system on the mk5.

3)Its not exactly the same, its the same type, and layout BUT the rates have changed there is also an option of ACC a system that lets you have 3 different suspension settings comfort/normal/sport. This also changes the steering and throttle responce. This is an option though.

The mk6 is small improvments in all areas over the mk5 from what i have been told. Its basically an evolution of the car. Its far more refined too.

maolin34

Passed Driver's Ed

easyman

Ready to race!
3)Its not exactly the same, its the same type, and layout BUT the rates have changed there is also an option of ACC a system that lets you have 3 different suspension settings comfort/normal/sport. This also changes the steering and throttle responce. This is an option though.

The mk6 is small improvments in all areas over the mk5 from what i have been told. Its basically an evolution of the car. Its far more refined too.

Us mericans' don't get the ACC. probably a good thing for me as it would be another option that i "must have"

mongo1

Ready to race!
Us mericans' don't get the ACC. probably a good thing for me as it would be another option that i "must have"

I think I'd "must have" it even if it meant living on Ramen even longer than I'm already going to have to. :)

I can understand why a lot of this stuff doesn't make it across the pond as a standard feature, but I fail to see why it doesn't make it as an option. I would have thought it would be bad business to not give people the option to give you more money.