GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Locked up engine

josueleon89

Passed Driver's Ed
I was driving off a ramp and by mistake I pressed the gas all the way to the ground and the revs went all the way to the red numbers. So when I stoped to turned the car had already cited off so I tried to started again but all it does it's a click sound. So I need some help on wether buying a used one which I got a quote and it's 2700$ or maybe just go under the carter take it off and replaced the crankshaft metals if the crankshaft it's not mess up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nezoid

Ready to race!
I was driving off a ramp and by mistake I pressed the gas all the way to the ground and the revs went all the way to the red numbers. So when I stoped to turned the car had already cited off so I tried to started again but all it does it's a click sound. So I need some help on wether buying a used one which I got a quote and it's 2700$ or maybe just go under the carter take it off and replaced the crankshaft metals if the crankshaft it's not mess up.

josueleon.. really hope you get the help you need. And I'm going to try and translate as I'm sure autocorrect is a bitch.. I'm guessing you have a 6mt.. and you were coming off/on the off/on ramp, and were in to low of a gear and redlined (7000+) the engine..

I don't have a standard GTI(you could have a dsg) so I can't compare.. but I'm guessing if the 6mt doesn't have overrev protections.. you could have toasted the motor..

Now after that.. I'm at a loss. What are you trying to figure out if buying what? You got quoted $2700.. for what? engine replacement? transmission replacement? Crankshaft "metals" replacement?

With the symptoms you've stated.. it could be a dead battery.. but giving the circumstances I doubt that is your issue.
I know you're in a crappy situation.. but the more information you give the forums.. the more they can help... Sounds.. Pictures.. anything... Provide a picture of the quote being done on your car.. anything. I'm sure there are plenty of people wanting to help..

Just try not to let autocorrect type your post, because it is difficult to read.. Either way GL.. Hope it isn't serious..

Last edited:

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
your post is a mess so its hard to tell whats what but the manual has a fuel cutoff at 6800 or 7k I think if its tuned. You cant have over revved once and blown the motor unless theres something else going on here. Did you keep it at redline for 20 minutes straight? Are you tuned? Disabled rev lmiter? were you having timing problems and or was there oil in it lol? we want more deets here

lol i love the idea of an all ebay GTI great job

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!

You may want to try again with language that is more clear and detailed.

Take the thing to a mechanic. Could be something as simple as a coincidental starter failure, but if you were driving really fast around the corner and also redlined it, there's a chance that it got oil starved from the hard cornering and could have burned all the bearings even if the revs were limited to 6800 RPM by the rev limiter.

josueleon89

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes I did had it around 7k revs for about 4 secs, and a trying to avoid taking it to the shop unless it's the dealer but now I know it is the engine cause I took off the belt and try to give it a few turns to the main pulley and it wi not go any where. Am pretty sure the bearing are melt it to the shaft

josueleon89

Passed Driver's Ed
I just can't believe that VW engines are so delicate, I had a Nissan 95 Altima and had rev. It almost to the max a few times and never gave a problem.

josueleon89

Passed Driver's Ed
The cheapest engine price I found it's 2700$ !!!!! Why am never buying VW ever again. Das auto !!!!

Uberryan

Banned
That's reasonably priced, considering this issue is a direct result of your actions.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
A modern engine toasted after only 4 seconds of redlining it? Did it have no oil? I feel like there must be another issue.

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
This is odd because there's s fuel cut off point on manuals... I accidentally did slammed it once to a low gear, in which it would cause a over-rev but the fuel cut off saved my ass. Best wishes, maybe it was just bad luck on your part.

On another note you can't say your disappointed on vw for having a "delicate" engine. You made a mistake that engine didn't have a tolerance for, end of story.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Even though there is a fuel cut off if you drop into a low gear at too high of a speed you will over-rev your engine. Quite possibly causing some ugly & costly damage. This is known as the money shift.

josueleon89

Passed Driver's Ed
100% it's my fault, but I have owned chevys and Nissan and quit few times I took them to the test rev the engines at red for a few secs and never had this problem, I think vw does make fancy and performance cars but they r using cheap metal material where they really to use a decent material, but any who am ever since I bought it pre owned from vw I always had problem with it, like coils, battery, HID lights, the headliner, an engine light keels beeping every time I drove it in city, maybe it's me that am just having bad luck

CHerna

Ready to race!
Got mine pre-owned. It's been a champ. It gets pampered and only the best. Your car is a reflection of you, in more ways than one.