GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long Term Assessment: GTI MK7 PP

corz123

Ready to race!
Hey guys. Haven't been on the boards for about a year. Back then there was a lot of hype and excited of the mk7 with the pp. Since a year has passed I'd like to ask how people are feeling about the mk7 pp? How does it compare to our mk7?

I have a mk6 w/ apr front and rear bars, anti lift kit, dg springs, and stg 1. How would my car compare? Just curious and contemplating an upgrade.

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
its a complete upgrade compared to the mk6. engine is different, interior & exterior is completely upgraded. all lighting inside is LED. I don't have anything bad to say about the mk7. I know people have tuned them and they should be a high 12 second car once flashed.

NorthVan1

Ready to race!
I think the MK7PP is a wonderful car, I was very close to buying one, and know that it is a huge improvement over the MK6. I bought the MK6 purely on the cost of the car, it was too good of a deal to say no to.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
The cost of the package is pretty reasonable. I think if I was buying an mk7 it would have to have the PP.

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
my question is if you have the PP GTI, would flashing it be the same numbers as a non PP GTI? overall I recommend the mk7 its a nice car.

Philimon

Ready to race!
It's an upgrade in every way it seems. The mkvi is the black sheep of the golf family. It was a cheapened mkv, well cheapened for vw, and that less cost wasn't passed down to the consumer. Unless you got a promotional deal I guess. I can't remember if mine was 4k or 6k under retail. Anyways, yours mods help diminish the difference from a stock mkvii, but then you can mod the mkvii as well...

Considering performance, aren't you interested in rwd? Miata, brz/frs, bmw, stang, etc. And possibly: http://jalopnik.com/the-toyota-s-fr-will-be-light-fun-and-cheaper-than-a-m-1736022132

NorthVan1

Ready to race!
The power is not the reason you get the PP, is the bigger brakes and eLSD.

Agreed, 10hp is no big deal. In Canada it also comes with the Dynamic Chassis Control.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
It's an upgrade in every way it seems. The mkvi is the black sheep of the golf family. It was a cheapened mkv, well cheapened for vw, and that less cost wasn't passed down to the consumer. Unless you got a promotional deal I guess. I can't remember if mine was 4k or 6k under retail. Anyways, yours mods help diminish the difference from a stock mkvii, but then you can mod the mkvii as well...

Considering performance, aren't you interested in rwd? Miata, brz/frs, bmw, stang, etc. And possibly: http://jalopnik.com/the-toyota-s-fr-will-be-light-fun-and-cheaper-than-a-m-1736022132

Not following your logic here? Even if you're not a fan of VW, the mk6 GTI is respected in the industry as the standard for bang-for-buck performance hatches. I'd argue the interior quality is on par with the mk7 (test drove several when making a decision). I'd take the mk6 steering wheel over the mk7. I'd agree that the mk7 has a better front diff and brakes, but to claim the mk6 is a black sheep is ridiculous. The GTI has evolved from the mk6 to the mk7, with each new platform owing it's roots to the previous generation. One of the biggest departures is obviously relocating manufacturing from Wolfsburg Germany to Puebla Mexico.

KO7

Ready to race!

The MK4 was the black sheep. The 5, 6 and now 7 were/are outstanding cars for their respective times.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Went from a MK6 DSG to a MK7 6MT PP this summer. Definitely an upgrade in terms of overall driving experience. The MK6 was a APR stage 1 car and PP feels as fast as that was subjectively. Ride and handling was very much better(and my is a S without DCC).

I can definitely note areas of cost cutting, and some interior detail I prefer the MK6 more, but MK7 is a better bang for your bucks I think. With the current VW loyalty discount and the SCCA VW Partnership pricing the car will be a pretty good deal I think too.

Gas mileage improvement is also very significant...

corydd

Go Kart Champion
It's an upgrade in every way it seems. The mkvi is the black sheep of the golf family. It was a cheapened mkv, well cheapened for vw, and that less cost wasn't passed down to the consumer.

This is a joke, right? The Mk6 was a noticeable improvement over the Mk5 in terms of quality, reliability, and packaging.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Not following your logic here? Even if you're not a fan of VW, the mk6 GTI is respected in the industry as the standard for bang-for-buck performance hatches. I'd argue the interior quality is on par with the mk7 (test drove several when making a decision). I'd take the mk6 steering wheel over the mk7. I'd agree that the mk7 has a better front diff and brakes, but to claim the mk6 is a black sheep is ridiculous. The GTI has evolved from the mk6 to the mk7, with each new platform owing it's roots to the previous generation. One of the biggest departures is obviously relocating manufacturing from Wolfsburg Germany to Puebla Mexico.

totally agree. His statements are ridiculous, histrionic, outrageous, egregious, preposterous!

Went from a MK6 DSG to a MK7 6MT PP this summer. Definitely an upgrade in terms of overall driving experience. The MK6 was a APR stage 1 car and PP feels as fast as that was subjectively. Ride and handling was very much better(and my is a S without DCC).

I can definitely note areas of cost cutting, and some interior detail I prefer the MK6 more, but MK7 is a better bang for your bucks I think. With the current VW loyalty discount and the SCCA VW Partnership pricing the car will be a pretty good deal I think too.

Gas mileage improvement is also very significant...

Put pirelli h rated grand touring tires (the ones the mk7 non pp is saddled with) on an mk6, and you'll get that same plush mk7 ride.

Last edited:

yea... an idiotic statement if I've ever heard here on the forums.
Listen chap,
the mk5 was inefficiently produced. It cost 10% more to produce than the mk6 because VW was using 1990s methods of production to build the mk5.

You should argue that the mk6 production process was state of the art and up-to-date, allowing VW to lessen production costs. Additionally, have you sat in both? The mk6 material and build quality is superb and even better than the mk5.

The mk6 is a 10% improvement on the mk5; just like the mk7 is an overall 10% improvement on the mk6. (yea, I've driven the mk7 non PP)

I had an mk5, I loved it, and I love my mk6. Your statement about "black sheeps and mk6's", is misguided and disturbing. Please wake up.