GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Revs not going down when I let up acceleration pedal

socal87

Drag Race Newbie

Nevileon

Passed Driver's Ed
FWIW,

I learned stick in my GTI after having been 'taught' in a single 2 hr. session from my drunk friend the month before. Drove it off the lot, new. Ground the gears once on my way home =( - never since.

I slip the clutch more than's probably healthy or it, but we're 22000 km in, and the clutch <KNOCK WOOD> hasn't started slipping yet.

Relax. That was probably my biggest barrier to driving MT!

The clutch is probably going to go south on you if you tune the car anyway, so consider it expendable. The GTI's a surprisingly nice car to learn on (lots of torque + hill assist = less need for using the hazards at stoplights :p).

colslaw87

Ready to race!
^ This is normal as said by others ^

Your in more control of what happens with the engine and transmission in a MT car. When your in 3rd gear and let off the gas ... the transmission will very slowly drop the RPM's as your car start's to slow down.

This will happen in any gear until you depress the clutch. In your Automatic car, this is all happening for you as you brake to slow down.

Link

Ready to race!
Kudos to you for trying something new. Once you learn to drive a MT, it's hard to drive sporty cars without one.

Avant

Ready to race!
That's normal. If and when you learn how to downshift is when you'll slow down faster through engine braking.