GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011-2014 Water Pump Recall Incoming

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Naw, didn't work for me. I had a dealer email that referred to the last 8 digits of my VIN, so I was hoping the first 9 were common between all GTI's. Because this didn't work I guess not :iono:

Taiso0019

Ready to race!
WVWHD7AJ1 <= Different year I suppose? Well I qualify but what cracks me up is how they describe the issue:

Oops.PNG

As far as I've seen from you unlucky gents it doesn't usually just leak 'slowly', it just takes a dump...

I suppose I'll wait til my last oil change with VW...Got a trip to DC next week and I'm more worried about a tech screwing up the replacement than my current pump going out.

artemk93

Ready to race!
wish we had more info, like is it a completely new water pump VW came out with, or just the latest revision that some people already have. I am at 31000 and had no problems so far.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
If it is a new improved water pump I'll have them replace it. If it is the same prone to failure water pump I'll wait until mine takes a dump before taking any action. It's encouraging that VW is going to do something. Fingers crossed for a permanent fix.

gtiguy482

Passed Driver's Ed
So I was pretty happy to see this thread at first... I just entered my VIN on the VW recalls site. According to the VW site, this is not a recall, but a service campaign. Remedy= "Your authorized Volkswagen dealer will inspect and, if necessary, replace the coolant pump in your vehicle."

My question is, how is this really anything different from the status quo? Did VW design a new water pump that they are reasonably confident will fix the issue? Or did they train the techs to install them with a different technique? I had my water pump replaced about 6 months ago with the BB rev and it's still okay, so I'm not sure what would happen if I brought my car into the dealership for this service campaign.

Seems like this would only be meaningful if I knew they were installing something that will last however long a water pump should actually last (years and years). Does anyone know what the difference between a recall and a service campaign will mean for us in this case?
Just checked the website and no hit on my 2013. Called customer care to make sure and she assured me there was not one on my car at the moment. She did say it could be expanded though. Not sure if they are just looking at certain engine codes or not right now. I know in humble mechanics video the one he was looking at that had failed was a ccta engine. His video was made well before this notice though. Just turned 48k on my ccta this morning and seems to be no issue yet. Just out of curiosity. What engine code do you guys have that are showing up with the recall/service campaign listed for yours? I have the extended warranty through 100k so i would be covered anyway. This is a good thing that they are doing something about it though.

CMGTI

Ready to race!
Nothing for me either

miles69

nothing on my 2013 either.. strange

CMGTI

Ready to race!
Must be a non FL thing lol

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
Mine shows up. '14 Wolfsburg. Had mine originally replaced at 10k and I'm now at 25k on that replacement pump.

I too am wondering if they made a newer revised one since. Or do I just wait until this one craps out?

pashley

Ready to race!
My 2011 water pump failed at about 18K. Replaced under warranty last October. No idea if I now have the latest version. Anyone that gets this fix should post the part number so we can all check to see if we have the latest.

drewmtb1

Ready to race!
Mine showed up 2011 cbfa. I had it replaced last winter around 30k. I wish it had more details about how many miles this "inspection" will be good for.

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
well, apparently the full recall isn't live yet. i have a service campaign but no recall. I'll check it again tomorrow.

EDIT: i should say that i'm on my 4th pump.

Last edited: