GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacement headlight lense

Epic GTI

Banned
I put black tape (like eyelids) on my headlight to get a more aggressive front end but when I took the tape off, there were a bunch of cracks on my headlights. I'm guessing this is due to the sun. I don't want to have to buy a whole new set of lights so was wondering if anyone has any experiences with these lenses.

It says "glass" which is strange to me because OEM is plastic. Any thoughts?

http://www.smartmotorpro.com/index....id=299&zenid=e3c592bb238a6e3345e1415c02fe6adc

ITSSTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I had glass lenses on my MK4...probably one of the best things I did to that car for the $$.

Its labor intensive (not sure if mk6 is the same) to remove the headlights, bake in the oven, separate, install and re-bake.

The glass will never fade, you might get some rock chips, but clear laminate is an easy solution to that. I say yes

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
I put black tape (like eyelids) on my headlight to get a more aggressive front end but when I took the tape off, there were a bunch of cracks on my headlights. I'm guessing this is due to the sun. I don't want to have to buy a whole new set of lights so was wondering if anyone has any experiences with these lenses.

It says "glass" which is strange to me because OEM is plastic. Any thoughts?

http://www.smartmotorpro.com/index....id=299&zenid=e3c592bb238a6e3345e1415c02fe6adc

I'm pretty sure the OEM headlight lenses are not removable.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
I'm pretty sure the OEM headlight lenses are not removable.

They are "removable"

This is actually a great find for me. Had my OEM BiXenons opened up and some modifications to them. Unfortunately the lenses were not in the best condition to begin with. Perfect, I can have them opened up again and swap lenses.

valj

Ready to race!
subscribed

Scootie

Ready to race!
They are "removable"

This is actually a great find for me. Had my OEM BiXenons opened up and some modifications to them. Unfortunately the lenses were not in the best condition to begin with. Perfect, I can have them opened up again and swap lenses.

The question everybody wants an answer to, how did you open yours? :D

ITSSTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm not at all worried about how to open them

I want to know what LED's you used Rotaryknight, and how they're attached etc. I had this same idea about 2 weeks ago. Can you provide info on that?

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
The question everybody wants an answer to, how did you open yours? :D
only way to open them is by cutting them open you cant oven bake these an pry them open.. you can oven bake them an open them if they were depo headlights but oems cant be they need to be cut opened

Epic GTI

Banned
They are "removable"

Where did you get that done? I'm in SoCal too...

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Guy called EvilHeadlights he's on FB and IG

Mine were OEM BiXenons. He didn't have to cut them open. Just took him some time.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Very true. Lights came out decent. I mean when you reseal always looks a little MacGuyver-ish but this wasn't bad at all

jkdiver

Replacement lens - seek review

I'm attracted to this option because my lenses look like crap from gravel strikes but I'm reluctant to spend the $ for new headlights since it's a purely cosmetic issue.
I wish there was just one clear review of the removal/installation and end result though. I figure if this was worth doing I would see a little noise about it.

Last edited: