GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Motor Mount Refresh

Ashwarawu

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all. I just hit 100k miles and looking to get some refreshed parts in. Already picked up some lightly used shocks/struts from a forum member and now I'm trying to decide on motor/trans mounts. I'm running stock power but I'd really like to tighten up the drivetrain and get something that lasts (fingers crossed for 200k). I'm between 034 Street Density mounts, BFI stage 1, or just putting in new OEM mounts. Anyone have any preferences or long-term durability reviews to help me decide? Thanks and Cheers

Mr_Dog

Ready to race!
If it's just your daily, no plans to track or add performance then stick with OEM mounts. Aftermarket mounts are usually stiffer and will produce more cabin vibrations etc.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
^ what he said.

If you want a slight upgrade in performance the 034 mounts are nice, mine didn't hold up very well when I started adding power though. I switched to bfi stage 2 mounts which are awesome and have held up very well, but the vibrations is enough to make some people crazy. Doesn't bother me though. The bfi stage 1 mounts are quite a bit tamer.

Ashwarawu

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got the 034 billet insert right now, so some minor NHV increase is okay. But I'm sure there a fine line between passing and failing the wife test.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Your better off using OEM mounts and pairing them with a dog bone mount and a dog bone insert. Those 2 items will stiffen up the drive train.

Ashwarawu

Passed Driver's Ed
Okay, I guess I have no idea what brand new OEM mounts will feel like compared to me old busted one. Could be a huge difference!

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
How long do those BFI mounts last? If it's the same material they were using years ago my dogbone mount ended up like this eventually...

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
^ what he said.

If you want a slight upgrade in performance the 034 mounts are nice, mine didn't hold up very well when I started adding power though. I switched to bfi stage 2 mounts which are awesome and have held up very well, but the vibrations is enough to make some people crazy. Doesn't bother me though. The bfi stage 1 mounts are quite a bit tamer.

I don't mean to thread jack the OP but here it goes (hopefully this is helpful to OP):

Does anyone have direct experience with the 034 Street mounts VS BFI Stage 1 mounts?

I'd really like to know how they compare in terms of NVH and longevity. I'm stage 1, soon to be stage 2 if that matters, and worried that the BFI mounts will be too harsh for a DD. Obviously there is a ~$100 difference between the brands of mounts but that is mitigated when you consider that BFI includes new mounting hardware (OEM TTY bolts for 034 cost $60ish). Also worth noting is that you can buy BFI replacement inserts for engine & trans mounts for $100. Anyone?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I don't mean to thread jack the OP but here it goes (hopefully this is helpful to OP):

Does anyone have direct experience with the 034 Street mounts VS BFI Stage 1 mounts?

I'd really like to know how they compare in terms of NVH and longevity. I'm stage 1, soon to be stage 2 if that matters, and worried that the BFI mounts will be too harsh for a DD. Obviously there is a ~$100 difference between the brands of mounts but that is mitigated when you consider that BFI includes new mounting hardware (OEM TTY bolts for 034 cost $60ish). Also worth noting is that you can buy BFI replacement inserts for engine & trans mounts for $100. Anyone?

I had 034 mounts for about a year and a half. In my opinion, they were good for the first 6 months and then started to get sloppy just like the oem's did after that. A buddy of mine has bfi stage 1 mounts and I drive his car semi regularly, the nvh is definitely more than 034 but it's not too bad at all.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I've had 034 street density mounts for a couple of years now and they still feel tight. Engine is stock though, and I don't run the stickiest tires available. Subframe mount is stock and untouched, which I blame for any thrash. NVH isn't much, but it's just enough that you can tell the engine is running through the seat.

95tequesta

Passed Driver's Ed
I just upgraded the stock subframe mount with VWR (Racingline). I also had the 034 Street density motor and trans mounts ready to go except I forgot to order the new bolts for the motor/trans mounts so I had to wait over a week to put them in.

The NVH was very noticeable with the VWR subframe mount and the stock motor/trans mount. First gear gave me trouble going from neutral at a dead stop. Once moving I hardly noticed the NVH, unless I was accelerating.

I replaced the motor/trans mounts with 034 Street Density, and this helped with NVH, although some was still there, it balanced everything out. I think the key here is to have balance. If you have one or two weaker components then that is going to cause more noticeable vibrations. Also, once all the mounts were installed shifting was like Buttah!!

MK6 GTI; 115000; Diesel Geek SS, Tyrolsport Deadset (front/rear), VWR Subframe Mount, stock dog bone mount, 034 motor/trans mounts, H&R Sway Bar 26mm front / 24mm rear, stock suspension, R8 ingnition coils, APR Stg1, IE CAI, Huge Grin, EMPTY WALLET!!!!!!

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Another data point here, I recently did the BFI Stage 1 Complete mount kit, and it is outstandingly good. There are more vibrations at idle and in reverse but it's pretty tame and doesn't bother me at all. Everything else about them is another world better compared to worn out OEM mounts. The car even sounds better.

The NVH was very noticeable with the VWR subframe mount and the stock motor/trans mount. First gear gave me trouble going from neutral at a dead stop. Once moving I hardly noticed the NVH, unless I was accelerating.

I replaced the motor/trans mounts with 034 Street Density, and this helped with NVH, although some was still there, it balanced everything out. I think the key here is to have balance. If you have one or two weaker components then that is going to cause more noticeable vibrations.

This for sure. IMO it's all or nothing when it comes to mounts. Torque arm insert alone on worn out stock mounts is a recipe for vibes, but paired with stiffer engine/trans mounts cleans up vibes. The stiffer your engine/trans mounts are, the less you'll feel the NVH from stiffening the torque arm bushing. There's a limit to this, and it's probably above the BFI stage 1 kit, where the BFI stage 2 mounts add enough NVH on their own to be objectionable for some.

Huge Grin, EMPTY WALLET!!!!!!

So much this.

Last edited:

Lazer 100

Ready to race!
I've had the BSH engine mounts for about 5 years now. I used to have a BSH dog bone but the dipsh!t that put it in over torqued the center bolt and screwed up the bushing, so now I have the Spulen dog bone.

Performance-wise I'm very happy with the BSH mounts. I don't know if I would recommend them for a daily driver though because of the NVH. Once I swapped out the BSH dog bone with the Spulen one there was a noticeable difference in the smoothness, noice etc.. and it doesn't seem to have effected the performance at all. I've been told that the Spulen engine mounts keep the car a little quieter that the BSH mounts, but I've never experienced it myself. Build-wise the Spulens look pretty similar to the 034 mounts, which is good because I've got the 034 sway bar and its top notch imo.

If I had to do it again I would probably get the Spulens or the 034 mounts (and not let someone else install them) but I'm pretty used to the BSH mounts now.