GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

sunroof switch light, illuminated sunroof switch, mk5 sunroof switch in a mk6

crashdb

Go Kart Champion
Me too. I can't always feel the detent on the non-lit switch. I'd rather the bigger knob, but I'll take what I can get.

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
Ordered the Anthracite Pontentiometer for a 2007 GTI. It's scheduled to arrive today. I'll try to install it this weekend, and give you guys an update.

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
Whoa, $72? In that case think I can live with what I've got until I am near a junkyard someday and can pick one up cheap..

irishpride

Passed Driver's Ed
Ordered the Anthracite Pontentiometer for a 2007 GTI. It's scheduled to arrive today. I'll try to install it this weekend, and give you guys an update.

when it comes, if it doesn't have a red and black wire coming out of the back of it then send it back because they updated the part... just giving you a heads up. hopefully it comes in and it's exactly what you need, plus this info will open more doors for people.. thanks for looking it up.

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
Got this put in after work. Took less than 10 minutes. I'd say 30 minutes if you've never took apart the sunroof panel before. Just follow the OP's pics. You don't have to disconnect any of the panel wires, only the switch wire. It'll save you a few minutes. Just be careful.

The part I ordered was correct and a perfect color match with the existing switch. Just some things to note:

For the following, "older" refers to the 2007 replacement part.

Good:

1) The older switch has a firmer close position click. Its also easier to feel the position due to the shape of the knob. Makes closing and opening it a lot more intuitive than the one that comes with our cars.

2) The lighted switch completes the panel a lot better.

3) Installation was a breeze since its a perfect match to our panel. The led wire socket is also preexisting. Just make sure you push it in all the way.

4) Anthracite is a perfect match to the existing switch and other panel switches.

Bad:

1) Expensive.

2) The click points on the older switch do not match the newer one. This means that every 3 clicks on the older switch equals one click on the newer one. Hardly any practical implication for every day use unless you have OCD.

Some photos:

Existing switch on the left. Note the led switch has the wires coming out.

My panel is a mess with the V1 and auto dimming mirror wiring, so I just left it plugged in.

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
Looks good. Would certainly prefer this style of knob, but probably won't pay that much to do it. Maybe I will lurk around the Mk5 forum and wait for someone who's parting out a totalled car.

irishpride

Passed Driver's Ed
Just follow the OP's pics. You don't have to disconnect any of the panel wires

yeah, I only did becuase I thought I was swapping panels :eek:

but thanks for the correct part number, looks like the only difference is "A" for the mk5 style and "C" for ours..

Great info, thanks for your contribution :)

eman006

Got this put in after work. Took less than 10 minutes. I'd say 30 minutes if you've never took apart the sunroof panel before. Just follow the OP's pics. You don't have to disconnect any of the panel wires, only the switch wire. It'll save you a few minutes. Just be careful.

The part I ordered was correct and a perfect color match with the existing switch. Just some things to note:

For the following, "older" refers to the 2007 replacement part.

TurtleJames,
Looks like the back covers with the circuit boards attached to them are the same. Did you try switching the "older" switch's back with the round switch's back. I do believe that the LED on the "older" switch is on the circuit board, so if they are interchangeable, then you can get the LED light on the round switch since the white plastic on the round is opaque. However, would need to check to see if the "older" backing would affect how the roof opens with each click of the round switch.
When you have the time, would you be able to please verify this? Or anyone else?

Thanks.:clap:

zVp

Go Kart Champion
It sucks the markings for the sunroof positions don't light up. Do they light up in other models (that might fit ours)?

I'd really like to have it so the markings light up as well as the mk6 knobs (I don't really like the mk5 knob).

Thanks for the DIY though! Nice, informative and lots of pictures :)