snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Lowering springs with the stock shocks will not keep/produce a "smooth" ride

You need to pair them up with aftermarket struts/shocks for the best results

CHerna

Ready to race!
Lowering springs with the stock shocks will not keep/produce a "smooth" ride

You need to pair them up with aftermarket struts/shocks for the best results

and for that kind of money, you might as well go with coil-overs!

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
You say you want 1.5" drop, a smooth ride, and to keep your stock shocks, but you're gonna have to pick two. If you want 1.5" drop and a smooth ride, the stock shocks aren't gonna cut it. If you want stock shocks and a smooth ride, you're not going to get a 1.5" drop.

If keeping the stock shocks is your priority, get the VWR springs. They're about a 3/4" drop, but ride quality is good with stock shocks. If you don't mind getting new shocks, too, then pick the springs that give the ride height you want.

and for that kind of money, you might as well go with coil-overs!

Disagree. I'd take a good spring/shock kit over cheap coilovers any day, especially for someone who's concerned about ride quality.

CHerna

Ready to race!
Disagree. I'd take a good spring/shock kit over cheap coilovers any day, especially for someone who's concerned about ride quality.

Idk man. By the time you spend ~$850 on springs, shocks, and mounts, you can pay a little more and buy some BC Racing coil-overs for $995. You get dampening adjustment, and front camber adjustment with them. Can't get that with springs/shocks.

Just my .02

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
But you can get a reasonable drop, improved performance, and a comfortable ride with no fiddling.

Coilovers aren't automatically the correct answer for any and all suspension questions.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I am almost certain that the car will be resting deep on to the bumpstops at a 1.5" drop. At best it's going to be super bouncy, at worst you trim them and it gets harsh. If you want to lower it that much and want a decent ride you want firmer dampers, particularly bump dampening.