GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is my fuel economy crap, or am I just being critical?

Nicks06TR

Ready to race!
I have 600 miles on my 4 door with DSG, and at:

90 mph, I get 20 mpg
85 mph, i get 23mpg
80 mph, i get 25mpg
75 mph, i get 28mpg
70 mph, i get 29-30mpg

all of these are with cruise control on and flat interstate/turnpike over a period of several miles or so each. I thought they made the EPA estimates so they were more realistic to real world situations now-a-days. My Ford explorer claimed 20mpg highway, and I saw 20mpg highway at 70mph, I got even better at lower speeds.

sportsguy

Ah, I'll say "critical".

New engine, not broken in.

90 mph - you can't expect any kind of good economy at those speeds, so I'd say you're bang on what most folks would consider an average, judging by your 70 mph rating... ;)

The real test is... what economy were you seeing with the Explorer at 90 mph, assuming it could hit 90... ;)

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Your fuel economy makes perfect sense...

There's always a "sweet spot" for highway mpg, where the engine rpms and wind resistance are low. The faster you go, the higher rpm and wind resistance goes. I'd say around 60 mph cruise gives u the highest mpg on average among cars

zee

Go Kart Champion
Stick between 60-70 for the best highway mileage. I think your 70mph readout looks good.

blueshirts0819

Ready to race!
I have 600 miles on my 4 door with DSG, and at:

90 mph, I get 20 mpg
85 mph, i get 23mpg
80 mph, i get 25mpg
75 mph, i get 28mpg
70 mph, i get 29-30mpg

all of these are with cruise control on and flat interstate/turnpike over a period of several miles or so each. I thought they made the EPA estimates so they were more realistic to real world situations now-a-days. My Ford explorer claimed 20mpg highway, and I saw 20mpg highway at 70mph, I got even better at lower speeds.

Man, I'm drooling over those MPG, I'm still driving my G35xS and the best I can get is probably 22mpg with super every fill up. Is a sports hatch and a new car, the engine will breakin and you will get better MPG later.

koolgreen

Ready to race!
those figures are pretty much the best you will do at those speeds.
Your fuel consumption is prolly best around 100kph or 60 mph.

the consumption curve is like a bell and will peak at that speed.
so as the saying goes, you don't get something for nothing.
In fact, if you get anywhere close to the epa quoted figures, you are doing well.

I have never met a car that matched the quoted consumption figures.

Unless you really accelerate slowly.
With this car, it ain't gonna happen.........
________
Magic flight launch box asthma

Last edited:

koolgreen

Ready to race!
Pssssst. Here's the secret. Drive a VW TDI. Even heavily modified my last one exceeded the EPA ratings. ;). It was loads of fun to drive, too.

Indeed!
I have never had a diesel, so I stand to be corrected.
The key with the diesels, is the torque curve.
With such high torque at low rpm's, you don't have to mash the pedal to get response.
Thus you use less fuel at acceleration.

Not as much issue today with digital fuel management and direct gasoline injection.
But diesels also use zero fuel when going down a hill.
________
Hare krishna - iskcon forum

Last edited:

waffleman

Ready to race!
mpg

I get 31-33 MPG average going 70 MPH on the highway in 6th gear with MT GTI so your numbers are slightly low, but not horrible. My car only has a little over 200 miles on it so far.

spretsnijev

Passed Driver's Ed
last week i went on a daytrip to Wisconsin right after i picked up the car, and saw the avg mileage drop after some time... At the end of the day, and roughly 175 miles on the clock i averaged 28 mpg. (no interstates)

koolgreen

Ready to race!
last week i went on a daytrip to Wisconsin right after i picked up the car, and saw the avg mileage drop after some time... At the end of the day, and roughly 175 miles on the clock i averaged 28 mpg. (no interstates)

geeeeeez
from the nederlands to wisconsin on a day trip...........

must be one hell of a car to do those distances!!!

:)

BTW
can you folks shed some light on break in period?
Sounds like some of you are on highway for long periods.
Is it still a necesity to mix up the rpms and not stay on a set rpm for long periods etc.

Or do you folks just start driving like normal right from day one???
________
Hot chick

Last edited:

sleepergti86

APRTuned
What are you guys getting per full tank of gas, ie from full to empty with standard everyday driving, including a little bit of fun?

I have APR Stage 1 with 350 miles of city driving and 450 of highway cruising, and i am only seeing around 290 miles per tank...

spretsnijev

Passed Driver's Ed
geeeeeez
from the nederlands to wisconsin on a day trip...........

must be one hell of a car to do those distances!!!

:)

BTW
can you folks shed some light on break in period?
Sounds like some of you are on highway for long periods.
Is it still a necesity to mix up the rpms and not stay on a set rpm for long periods etc.

Or do you folks just start driving like normal right from day one???

haha, story behind it is that my folks live near Chicago for a limited period of time, and since they plan to move back to Holland next summer/fall i bought this car while visiting them shortly ago. Reason: the Dutch law allows you to import 2 cars as 'moving goods' FREE of state import taxes and VAT when moving from outside the EU back. Adding up the weak $ to € the car costed me less than half of the price here. :w00t:

Downside is, that i will have to wait to have it here until they register back in Holland... :( But hey, for that kind of money it's worth the wait!

zee

Go Kart Champion
What are you guys getting per full tank of gas, ie from full to empty with standard everyday driving, including a little bit of fun?

I have APR Stage 1 with 350 miles of city driving and 450 of highway cruising, and i am only seeing around 290 miles per tank...

I do mix driving, but more of city and rush hour bumper-to-bumper on highway. I keep a very light foot in the city as there is hardly any room for a heavy foot to go faster.

My last fill up was about 550km (341miles)
My MDI estimate after fillup was 660km (410miles)

My MDI average is 8.8l/100km (~26-27mpg)