GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

McLaren to replace windshield wipers with a Force Field of Sound Waves

09vdubgti

Banned
Similar to what fighter jets use.

McLaren says it's doing away with wipers altogether in favor of fighter jet technology that keeps windshields clean. The British supercar company isn't revealing too many details, but experts have a pretty good idea of how the new system will work. The fighter jet technology to which McLaren is referring is likely a high-frequency electronic system that pumps sound waves through the windshield, effectively creating a vibrating ultrasonic force field that deflects water, mud, and even bugs.

"It took a lot of effort to get this out of a source in the military. I asked why you don't see wipers on some aircraft on when they are coming in at very low levels for landing," McLaren design chief Frank Stephenson told The Sunday Times. "I was told that it's not a coating on the surface but a high-frequency electronic system that never fails and is constantly active. Nothing will attach to the windscreen."

http://gizmodo.com/mclaren-is-using-fighter-jet-technology-for-wiper-free-1484213049

http://www.geek.com/news/mclaren-to...rs-with-a-force-field-of-sound-waves-1579855/

I love the creativity behind this.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
dayum.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Boner.

golftdibrad

Go Kart Champion
wants

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Can't wait for the mk6 kit from ECS.

Really, though, wouldn't that be really loud? Vibes in a huge speaker like a windshield would be tough to cope with.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Can't wait for the mk6 kit from ECS.

Really, though, wouldn't that be really loud? Vibes in a huge speaker like a windshield would be tough to cope with.

Inaudible frequencies for the human ear... may be annoying for the doge doe.

Pretty awesome tech.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
do i need to put my headlights on when running said high frequency force field? or does that not apply like traditional wipers? personally im gonna miss that whuu whuu, errrrah eerrrah sound. or the dreaded too dry window, brrr r r rr err brrrrb bbrerrr