GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What Should I Do First

bderby312

So I just picked up my 2012 Golf R and I absolutely love it! :thumbup:

The only problem that I have is that I cant decide what to do next for the car. I've thought about intake and exhaust. I like the current sound that the car has but a more pronounced growl at lower rpms would be sick. I also think the VWR intake is a good idea, especially because I plan on modding the car more and know she's gonna need to breathe. The issue is that I can really only afford to get one or the other for now.

So im stuck. Does anyone have any experience with the intake vs. exhaust thing...

Here are a few pics of my baby:

Attachments

• medium.jpg
    medium.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 339

nakenyon

Go Kart Champion
Exhaust will give you the sound you want, which IMO is a benefit you can feel right away. Worry about the intake down the line IMO.

bderby312

Do you know any specific exhaust systems that are good? Innotech, bolra, milltek?

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Right now is a Great time to capitalize that everyone is trading and parting out their cars, due the upcoming MK7.

To start: Intake & DP, then wait for the Spring offers to do the tune & HPFP internals.

bderby312

Right now is a Great time to capitalize that everyone is trading and parting out their cars, due the upcoming MK7.

To start: Intake & DP, then wait for the Spring offers to do the tune & HPFP internals.

Awesome. Are there any specific ones that you can recommend? - Intake or exhasut

Davespence20

Ready to race!
Scorpion's exhaust is the only one I've heard in person and I like it. Boost gauge is also a valuable tool too have. If go with exhaust then a little bit of drop. Maybe some wheels. After you get a little bored with it you can tune it. But really it's all up to you just enjoy it man :thumbup:

bderby312

Scorpion's exhaust is the only one I've heard in person and I like it. Boost gauge is also a valuable tool too have. If go with exhaust then a little bit of drop. Maybe some wheels. After you get a little bored with it you can tune it. But really it's all up to you just enjoy it man :thumbup:

Thanks! :D

corrado917

Go Kart Champion

nimda

Ready to race!
So far.... my opinion only.

1st mod - unplug the stupid soundaktor thing. (search for this)
2nd mod - APR - Stage 1 tune - no parts required and it will WAKE up the car.
3rd mod - Downpipe - this will give you the most sound/performance and you can do the CB and intake later.
4th mod - APR FP - then you get the Stage 2 Tune :)
5th mod - springs - the car is too tall from the factory - many options and the car looks how it should have from the factory.
6th - intake - VWR if you want loud and never plan to goto Stage 3. The Carbino is VERY quiet.

after this just do some reading on this forum and you will find all info you need. Also take a look at the VAGCOM cable that Rosstech offers, lots of cool features here.

wbean

attention whore
So far.... my opinion only.

1st mod - unplug the stupid soundaktor thing. (search for this)
2nd mod - APR - Stage 1 tune - no parts required and it will WAKE up the car.
3rd mod - Downpipe - this will give you the most sound/performance and you can do the CB and intake later.
4th mod - APR FP - then you get the Stage 2 Tune :)
5th mod - springs - the car is too tall from the factory - many options and the car looks how it should have from the factory.
6th - intake - VWR if you want loud and never plan to goto Stage 3. The Carbino is VERY quiet.

after this just do some reading on this forum and you will find all info you need. Also take a look at the VAGCOM cable that Rosstech offers, lots of cool features here.

This is the right way to do any volkswagen :thumbsup: tune, downpipe, suspension, tune more, supporting tune mods (intercooler, engine mounts, etc)

i would change a few things.

2) decide what you want to tune it with, APR is off the shelf and won't offer custom turbo mapping like unitronic and UM.

4) Don't get APR fuel pump, it's the most expensive and does the same as all other internal change kits. KMD and autotech is more than sufficient for hpfp. LPFP is where i would not cheap out on.

5) don't get springs. you dont have DCC like european option so the stock dampers are not adequate for real hard driving. get a proper coilover. KW V2 or above, VWR street+, Bilstein PSS10 are all good

6) VWR has fuel trim issues. Get Evoms or unitronic or 42DD. Probably better choices and less pricey.

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion
Congrats on the new Golf R, Forge WINtake and upgraded Forge Blow-Off Valve have my vote. You might want to wait to do a full TBE (turbo-back exhaust) and tune after that.

For our listings of other performance goodies please see - Here

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me - Happy modding!

Andy

Last edited:

mishaparem

Dang, $324 seems a little $$$ for a CAI, especially one that seems to draw air from the same spot as the stock system. All it is is a good quality air filter and piping made of lightweight materials that insulate the air inside from the engine heat... Am I missing ~$150 - $200 of fanciness somewhere?

nimda

Ready to race!
nope... but it makes cool noises... Technically it doesn't but it allows you to hear the ones your car already makes.