GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Traction Control

Artysta

Ready to race!
Ive noticed everyone turning off their traction control to get a better launch. Wouldnt traction control prevent your wheels from spinning? Why turn traction control off?

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
I would interfere with your launch and cut power.. it would be better to feather the throttle and control wheel spin yourself.

CarolinaBeachGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Are there multiple levels of traction control in the MK6 GTI? I know in my e46 325 BMW I could press the DST button, then press and hold it, watch it blink and be completely disabled. Tonight I was practicing my launches for the my upcoming auto X event, (can't seem to get them right...gotta practice some more) but any way, in my practice I put my foot to heavy into the throttle and spun sooo i decided to just burry it and burn out : )... to my dismay tho... the throttle just cut out even with traction control off : (......Whats the deal? Also I'm launching @ 3kish... Does this seem right?

Thanks guys..

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Hitting the ESP Off button raises the intervention limit for the ESP, and turns TCS off. TCS will cut power in order to stop wheelspin, which is what you don't want for tracking.

@ CarolinaBeach, as far as I know it's either on or off for TCS. I never have any problems spinning my tires during auto-cross launches. Are you sure it's not wheel hop instead?

For the best launch on stock or Stage I, go a little lower about 2500RPM or so, and be VERY gentle with the throttle - our early torque peak causes tons of issues launching.

CarolinaBeachGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hitting the ESP Off button raises the intervention limit for the ESP, and turns TCS off. TCS will cut power in order to stop wheelspin, which is what you don't want for tracking.

@ CarolinaBeach, as far as I know it's either on or off for TCS. I never have any problems spinning my tires during auto-cross launches. Are you sure it's not wheel hop instead?

For the best launch on stock or Stage I, go a little lower about 2500RPM or so, and be VERY gentle with the throttle - our early torque peak causes tons of issues launching.

Hmmm Interesting, Thank you for the info. Your definitely right about that torque curve. Its hard to find that sweet spot.

As for wheel hop... I don't think so because I've felt that before in other cars and thats a pretty jarring almost violent feeling event when that occurs. This felt smooth... Like tire spin... I can't complain tho i guess, the weathers been atrocious lately... tooo cold to get much if any grip i guess.

So I'm going to try both methods now... to see which works better for me... TCS on vs. TCS off. I'll let you know in the next couple of days with my results.