GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.4 TSI Engine&Start up Issues.

VW6

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello!

My engine seems to be having issues starting please see the videos
It does eventually start and the lights will go off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSQypGLXyZw

It will start if you keep trying but the CEL & EPC lights are on and the car has no throttle response, Please see the next video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQgpYEOnYfQ&feature=youtu.be

Then after a few more try's the car will start as normal and will drive with no loss of power but once the engine is up to temp, on idle the car will shake/stutter slightly and now and again the check engine light will blink but will go out.

I then went and got a cheap code reader and managed to get a code. PO302 P (Misfire on cylinder 2)
I have changed the spark plugs, ignition coils and the fuel filter.

Exhaust rattle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXxL_tBblJc

Exhaust #2 (smells of fuel)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txjtZrCXxLs

What could it be?

1.4 TSI 122 CAXA

Last edited:

VW6

Passed Driver's Ed
I just took it for a drive and when i got it into 3rd gear and i could hear a clicking noise when the revs went past 3,000 after the engine warmed up it started to go away.

when i got back i left it to idle. I noticed the EPC light stayed lit without the check engine light.

I turned the car off and back on again and the EPC light went out but no doubt if i was to leave it to idle for a minute or so it would show its face again :happyanim:

Last edited:

blower

Ready to race!
Probably a leaking fuel injector.

Can see this is a CAXA 122ps engine so doubtful its a cracked piston that usually occurs on the 160ps. A compression test is probably worth it just to rule that out and any valve issues.

Were there any other codes, or just misfire on cylinder 2?

Other possibility is a stuck camshaft adjuster - but if only misfires only showing on cylinder 2, its more like the injector if you have changed sparks and coil plugs.

This engine doesn't really suffer from carbon buildup issues to the extent of the 2.0tsi - plus it really is running bad, and doubt very much carbon buildup would suddenly having it running this bad, cold or not.

Last edited:

VW6

Passed Driver's Ed
Probably a leaking fuel injector.

Can see this is a CAXA 122ps engine so doubtful its a cracked piston that usually occurs on the 160ps. A compression test is probably worth it just to rule that out and any valve issues.

Were there any other codes, or just misfire on cylinder 2?

Other possibility is a stuck camshaft adjuster - but if only misfires only showing on cylinder 2, its more like the injector if you have changed sparks and coil plugs.

This engine doesn't really suffer from carbon buildup issues to the extent of the 2.0tsi - plus it really is running bad, and doubt very much carbon buildup would suddenly having it running this bad, cold or not.

Yeah i have only got the one fault code coming up on my reader although it is a cheap one so not sure it is 100% accurate.

Last edited:

blower

Ready to race!
Yeah i have only got the one fault code coming up on my reader although it is a cheap one so not sure it is 100% accurate.

If you had codes for random misfires across all 4 cylinders, i would be looking at timing, camshaft adjuster or fuel pressure issues.

If that reader is reading right, and its just cylinder 2, i'd say its a leaking fuel injector - wouldn't be the first time iv'e seen this on the 1.4TSI (or any TSI for that matter). This of course is assuming your ignition is ok for that cylinder (ie. spark and coil plug, which you say you have changed)

I would do a compression test first though as injectors are expensive and a lot of labour to get to and you may as well rule out the possibility of a cracked piston or burnt exhaust valve.

VW6

Passed Driver's Ed

This spark plug is a new plug that went in last week and the car has done hardly any miles as i have not drove it because of the problem. I did do a drive after fitting the plugs and coils to see if the problem would go away but other than that nothing really.

This has got to confirm its the injectors right?

( A black, feathery carbon deposit on your spark plugs can be an indication of a weak spark or an overly rich fuel mixture. Causes may include a stuck choke, misadjusted or heavy carburetor float, a leaky injector or carburetor needle valve, low coil output or high resistance in your spark plug wires. )

This was the plug from cylinder 2, but i had a look at cylinder 3 and it was the same if not a little worse.

Id say the plugs have less than 30 miles on them, think my engines fucked boys!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Check the other two plugs as well to see if they are all the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VW6

Passed Driver's Ed
Check the other two plugs as well to see if they are all the same.

I will tomorrow but i am confident they will all look like that, if they was what are you thinking?

I noticed on my oil dipstick my oil level seemed to be high not overly but over the fill line. I am confused as i am pretty sure i have not over filled it, this engine burns oil as we all no and my oil change was 10k Miles a go and i topped it up about 200-300ml 3 months back to the max line.

Could fuel be getting into my oil?

When a fuel injector is stuck open, the fuel will flood out. Gasoline will definitely get into the oil when this is the case. If the fuel pressure in your car is too high (above 7 psi) that may cause gasoline to get into the engine oil. Gas could also leak into your intake manifold if there is a carburetor problem.

100% Not coolant as that has not gone down at all.

Or maybe i did overfill by 300ml?

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I will tomorrow but i am confident they will all look like that, if they was what are you thinking?

I noticed on my oil dipstick my oil level seemed to be high not overly but over the fill line. I am confused as i am pretty sure i have not over filled it, this engine burns oil as we all no and my oil change was 10k Miles a go and i topped it up about 200-300ml 3 months back to the max line.

Could fuel be getting into my oil?

When a fuel injector is stuck open, the fuel will flood out. Gasoline will definitely get into the oil when this is the case. If the fuel pressure in your car is too high (above 7 psi) that may cause gasoline to get into the engine oil. Gas could also leak into your intake manifold if there is a carburetor problem.

100% Not coolant as that has not gone down at all.

Or maybe i did overfill by 300ml?

They could well all look like that but you need to check them to be sure!

What does the oil smell like?

VW6

Passed Driver's Ed
Just had a smell and i believe it does smell like fuel.

I say believe as i don't no what used cold car oil smells like, but it was quite strong the smell..? My friend seems to think it does smell like petrol.

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I think you’d be wise to get it looked at by a good mechanic before driving it much more as the fuel (if it does indeed have fuel in the oil) will “wash down” the cylinders and damage the engine, hopefully it turns out to be a quick/easy fix!