GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

a warning about autocrossing the mk6

aeroscape

First post here and its an important one. Just got back from a driving school to fresh up my skills. First off the gti is the most balanced, composed front drive car I have ever driven. Anyone having problems with understreer and thinking of changing something to correct this DON'T! Learn to drive it first stock cuz this thing rotates amazingly well. Exact quote from an instructor that I let drive the car "holy shit its awesome". He actually set a faster time his first run in it than his own 3 series. This car can straight up murder a slalom. If anyone wants to autoX one of these I would highly recommend the hankook ventus r-s3. That is all I have done to the car. Now to the bad news. For some reason this car cannot take a sustained right turn around a skid pad without dumping oil into the exhaust. I had oil slick on the exhaust tips it was that bad. Gonna set a dealer appointment next week to make sure nothin is too f**ked up. Say a prayer for my catalytic converter. No problems at all on any of the runs but for a performance car this thing should have some internal baffled to prevent this.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
I'd like to know what the fix is for this since APR refuses to let us know on the forum. If anyone ever finds out, please let us know!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
never had an issue in 2 track days so far, and I drive the car pretty hard. And btw, my 996 911 did the same thing.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
It happens.

When I had a Pontiac G5 (same thing as a Cobalt) people were swapping to my oil pan since there was another baffle in there. It happens, drop the pan, figure out where to put the baffle, do it.

Or spend lotsa money in an accusump system and be done.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I did a baffle on my 911 for about $600. I ran low oil and it still did it in a hard right turn. Since the car was out of warranty and I still wanted to track a few times a year, I got rid of it immediately. I'm sure I was overreacting, but helped me into a C6 Z51 that blew the doors of the pcar, so that was okay :lol:

aeroscape

WHAT.....THE.....SHIT! In a way its comforting to know that I'm not the only one with this problem but my god these were r-s3's, not even an r compound tire and I managed to do this! Should I be worried about what this did to the car, should I bring it up to the dealership? How could they make such an awesome handling car with such a fatal flaw? I saw that someone else mentioned hard left hander, I had no issue in that direction. Someone took a picture of it, I have got to post it cuz you guys will shit you're pants when you see how much smoke came out. I will have to call Apr because this car is too good to keep off the track.

aeroscape

Also, the car is completely stock other than the tires. And forget about track work or autoX, give me any smooth 270 degree off ramp and I could replicate this issue. Hey VW, a cars cornering speed should be limited by its tires not its damn motor! They have to know they messed up here since this appears to be a non issue on mk1 - 5. How awesome that on the latest and greatest best handling version something this critical was overlooked. I love this car, my friends love this car and want to get one for themselves.....fix this friggin problem VW!!!

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Makes me want to use white walls. I hit a banked on-ramp every single day to work, glad its a right hander.

Shibby!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
OP - is your oil overfilled or something?

staynhome29

Ready to race!
I frequent the track. My mechanic at Eurocode does everything on my car. I never had the slightest hiccup.

Make sure your oil isn't overfilled.

abusive

I frequent the track. My mechanic at Eurocode does everything on my car. I never had the slightest hiccup.

Make sure your oil isn't overfilled.

Had it happen to my factory stock car on PZero All-Seasons with 1500 miles on it on a skidpad test :laugh:

spa2k

Had it happen to my factory stock car on PZero All-Seasons with 1500 miles on it on a skidpad test :laugh:

Once again, how often have you checked your oil? It could have been overfilled at the factory. My first 3,000 miles, I never added any oil. :eek:

abusive

Once again, how often have you checked your oil? It could have been overfilled at the factory. My first 3,000 miles, I never added any oil. :eek:

I didn't check it, so it's certainly a possibility. A skidpad on bumpy pavement is a very contrived circumstance though, and not necessarily indicative of real AutoX / track conditions. It only did it once, and it hasn't since.