GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Slight Vibration in steering wheel, gas pedal, and sometimes seat

cased

Passed Driver's Ed
I had my wheels balanced at VW during a check back after I told them I felt a pretty bad vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds. Took the car home, still didn't feel great. So I took it to a local tire place and had them road force balance it. Got the car back, and the violent steering wheel vibrations caused by needing a wheel balance were gone, but what remained was a slight vibration in the steering wheel, and now gas pedal.

Decided to call VW back, and had them look at it again. Explained what I felt and they called back later in the day and told me a technician HEARD (I never heard anything, only felt) something from the right front wheel. They told me it was a bad wheel bearing. They replaced it under warranty and I went back and picked up my car. The vibration felt through the steering wheel and gas pedal were still there, and now I could feel it in the seat as well. Called them back and dropped it off again. They called me and told me they felt nothing.

I figured I might have been feeling to sensitive to it, so I drove it for a week or so, and it still just doesn't feel right. I can start feeling it at about 40ish, all the way up to in the 70s. I don't really feel it under hard acceleration, but rather just light acceleration, like just keeping your foot on the pedal at cruising speeds.

Its hard to describe, because when people hear "steering wheel vibration" they think wheel balance. It's not quite as violent as that, and my wheels have been balanced twice. It's almost like you're on a rough road, and you can feel every bump. I can mostly feel it in the gas pedal, and steering wheel. Only sometimes in my seat.

Sorry for this wall of text, I've been very frustrated about it, and finally decided to post to see if anyone had any information.

Burntchicken

Ready to race!
I have the same vibrations as you describe, it's because I have to replace my left control arm bushing. Jack up your car so the front tires are in the air and get up to that speed, if your car vibrates that might be it, if not it might be the wheel or axle or something.

cased

Passed Driver's Ed
You might have a slightly bent/dented wheel. Those are some of the symptoms.

That was actually what I was thinking.

I have the same vibrations as you describe, it's because I have to replace my left control arm bushing. Jack up your car so the front tires are in the air and get up to that speed, if your car vibrates that might be it, if not it might be the wheel or axle or something.

I'll probably have to bring it somewhere to do this since I don't have the space or resources to do it where I currently live.

Thanks for the input guys, I might call a different VW dealership to see what they say, or I'll bring it to the tire place to see if they think anything of it.

Davespence20

Ready to race!
Could be a warped rotor too couldn't it? But I'm thinking more along the lines of a bent rim too

cased

Passed Driver's Ed
So I was working all weekend and haven't had time to get it checked, and while I was driving home cruising at around 65-70 I didn't notice the vibration as bad. I felt it a bit at lower speeds. Would a bent rim only cause vibrations at some speeds?

valeoray

Ready to race!
Check if the two bigger tire diameters out of the four wheels are put either at the front or back. I had the two bigger diameter ones on one side, and it gave me weird vibrations. VW might have rotated your tires wrong.

cased

Passed Driver's Ed
Just picked it up, they said the road force balance numbers weren't great on it, so they redid it and said it felt better. They said drive it for a few days and let them know how it feels. Hopefully it's all better.