GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust actuator flap mod

SilvaGTI

Somebody stop me
Hi All,
Has anyone here performed the exhaust actuator mod to their Golf .:R?
If you look under the rear of the car you will see a small black device (looks a bit like a wastegate) attached to the right rear outlet. It also has a black tube attached.

Apparently if you kink the tube and tightly wrap a cable tie around it to close it off while the flap is in the 'open' position (check with a torch up the right exhaust) you get a deeper, louder exhaust note all through the rev range. Not just beyond 3800rmp when it is designed to open.

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has done this. And what they think the difference is?

SilvaGTI

Somebody stop me
Actually, I did this mod overnight and drove to work this morning. The exhaust note was droning at 60kph and really offered no better sound under load. So I will be removing the cable tie tonight when it stops raining outside.

zee

Go Kart Champion
I wonder if we'll get this exhaust in North America or a water downed normal one.

P

plac

silly mod anyway. keep your low end intact with that flap closed under lighter throttles.

Genesis_R

I swapped my exhaust out for an aftermarket one for quite some time and I've gotten a random workshop to fit the stock one back (for emission inspection purposes) and I'm not sure if the flap is even working or not. It doesn't really matter I guess, or does it?

65dunebuugy

insert custom title here
I wonder why VW is putting this on the R models again?? The 2.0T is a totally different sound than the VR6 was????

SilvaGTI

Somebody stop me
I can tell you why they are putting it on the Golf R. As I mention above, I deactivated the flap by kinking the pressure tube and the thing droned like a MoFo at 60kph. I struggled just having a conversation with my passenger.
Re-activated it... and perfect. Beautiful and quite while cruising... but still has the slight note under acceleration.