GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does anybody actually LIKE the noise pipe?.....(I do)

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
I see a lot of threads/posts about how people don't like the noise pipe...and how to delete the noise pipe...etc.

I actually like the sound from the noise pipe. I do believe what people say about it delaying the throttle response though.....so I may eventually plug it......I dunno

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I'm such a newb. I know of the noise pipe from the DIY delete threads but have no idea what I am or am not hearing.

whalesalad

Ready to race!
Alright.

Air goes into the intake. It goes back behind your motor, by the firewall, and down into the turbo. Turbo blows that air through your intercooler (also known as a charge air cooler) where it becomes "charged". At that point the air is cooler and more compressed, which is what helps create more power in your engine.

Right before this wonderful and magical air is about to enter your throttle body and later into your engine, there is a big Y pipe. One side of that Y pipe goes right into your throttle body, and then the cylinders. The other side of the Y pipe leads up and around the side (left looking from the front, on the passenger side) of your engine, up and back to your firewall where it ends in a little dongle that makes noise.

The noisepipe is unnecessary added volume to the charged side of your turbo system. Removing it will effectively help the system get to full boost quicker. In my honest opinion, the noisepipe is like installing a plastic hood scoop on an old dodge neon that doesn't lead anywhere. It's purely cosmetic. I actually frown upon VW for doing such a thing :( If they wanted to create more noise, they should have put in a less restrictive intake system. Their marketing department refers to it as the "original hot hatch", but I really think they could be doing more in that department. Ahh, I digress.

I just dropped $750 on an APR tune this week, so I am going to have to put the brakes on for a little while before spending dough on new parts, but you better believe that my next modification will be removing the noisepipe, either with a tiguan pipe or a neuspeed or similar aftermarket one.

Keep in mind, the solutions mentioned above don't only replace the noisepipe, they replace all of the piping between the intercooler and the throttle body, so you're going to get improved flow above and beyond the tiguan pipe with an aftermarket part as well.

micah360

Ready to race!
I like my car soooo much better without the noise pipe. The engine sounds so much cleaner and finely tuned.

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
I assume you have this Neuspeed pipe?

It's on order... So no, not yet unfortunately.

Alright.

Air goes into the intake. It goes back behind your motor, by the firewall, and down into the turbo. Turbo blows that air through your intercooler (also known as a charge air cooler) where it becomes "charged". At that point the air is cooler and more compressed, which is what helps create more power in your engine.

Right before this wonderful and magical air is about to enter your throttle body and later into your engine, there is a big Y pipe. One side of that Y pipe goes right into your throttle body, and then the cylinders. The other side of the Y pipe leads up and around the side (left looking from the front, on the passenger side) of your engine, up and back to your firewall where it ends in a little dongle that makes noise.

The noisepipe is unnecessary added volume to the charged side of your turbo system. Removing it will effectively help the system get to full boost quicker. In my honest opinion, the noisepipe is like installing a plastic hood scoop on an old dodge neon that doesn't lead anywhere. It's purely cosmetic. I actually frown upon VW for doing such a thing :( If they wanted to create more noise, they should have put in a less restrictive intake system. Their marketing department refers to it as the "original hot hatch", but I really think they could be doing more in that department. Ahh, I digress.

I just dropped $750 on an APR tune this week, so I am going to have to put the brakes on for a little while before spending dough on new parts, but you better believe that my next modification will be removing the noisepipe, either with a tiguan pipe or a neuspeed or similar aftermarket one.

Keep in mind, the solutions mentioned above don't only replace the noisepipe, they replace all of the piping between the intercooler and the throttle body, so you're going to get improved flow above and beyond the tiguan pipe with an aftermarket part as well.

Great explanation!

I like my car soooo much better without the noise pipe. The engine sounds so much cleaner and finely tuned.

What option did you go with to delete yours?

fredf

Go Kart Champion
You don't have to do the Jetta firewall thing, right? Is that just for cosmetics?

Is it enough to just substitute the Tiguan intake for the GTI and just plug the hole in the firewall?

Whalesalad: can you clarify the issue about plugging where the Y pipe leads off to the noise maker? I have read others talk about just plugging that area rather than do the entire pipe. Others have said that you cannot safely plug it because the plug can blow and cause a lot of damage.
Is there a safe way to plug this?

I'm not going to be doing the full delete on my own (chicken here) but I might attempt a plug. I've asked a few mechanics in my area and non had done a noise maker delete. I figure a simple plug would be easiest -- IF it is safe.

Of course I would want to plug it at the Y take off and not at the firewall. The latter would be useless from a throttle/pressure built point of view.

wildcars

Ready to race!
Can someone post a pick of this pipe you guys are talking about... Because i don't think we have it here.. but wanna confirm which EXACT pipe you guys are talking about...

anotherfiz

Ready to race!
Can someone post a pick of this pipe you guys are talking about... Because i don't think we have it here.. but wanna confirm which EXACT pipe you guys are talking about...

If you have a non North American model (including Canada) then it doesnt have the "noise pipe"

Anyone got a sound clip of the difference?

micah360

Ready to race!

I thought I had a photo of my engine bay with the pipe still installed but I don't. Post a pic of your engine bay and we can tell you if you have the pipe or not.

BOOGATA

Ready to race!
I happen to like the sound of the noise pipe too. Almost like having an aftermarket intake...almost. It's good for those of us who can't afford to mod our cars to get a little grunt from the engine but I agree with everything that people post regarding how it's kind of silly and wastes boost etc. I might decide to plug it and go with the tiguan pipe but I'd prefer to hear one without it either in person or in a good quality video.

Killswitch24

Ready to race!
I never really had a problem with the noise pipe, but ever since I installed the AWE catback, I actually don't hear it much anymore.