GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0 TSI vs. 2.0 TFSI

citrin1893

Ready to race!
Hey all,
So, I drove my buddy's Audi A5 with the 2.0L TFSI. I just want to know the difference between that and our 2.0L TSI. They're both turbo-charged, both are the same size (2.0L). I noticed the Audi had a different growl to it but thats also the difference in exhaust. I'm thinking the Audi TFSI has a higher pressure turbo than ours does. Any thoughts to what the main difference is?

zee

Go Kart Champion
Both cars have TSI, but Audi calls it TFSI. The Audi also has valvelift.

The Audi 2.0TFSI is different from VW's 2.0T FSI from the early MKV.

Kevandra

Ready to race!
Hey all,
So, I drove my buddy's Audi A5 with the 2.0L TFSI. I just want to know the difference between that and our 2.0L TSI. They're both turbo-charged, both are the same size (2.0L). I noticed the Audi had a different growl to it but thats also the difference in exhaust. I'm thinking the Audi TFSI has a higher pressure turbo than ours does. Any thoughts to what the main difference is?

Dumb question but what does the TSI stand for?

msm00b

Ready to race!
try 260 tq vs our 207 torque on 91 oct....

That's more a function of ECU setting than differences in the engine ... which explains why the MKVI GTIs are so easily (and cheaply) modified with a simple ECU flash.

The onboard computer settings are responsible for more than people give them credit for; a good example being the "valet" setting you can choose from APR that rev limits, kills the turbo, and caps your speed at 42mph.

zee

Go Kart Champion
That's more a function of ECU setting than differences in the engine ... which explains why the MKVI GTIs are so easily (and cheaply) modified with a simple ECU flash.

The onboard computer settings are responsible for more than people give them credit for; a good example being the "valet" setting you can choose from APR that rev limits, kills the turbo, and caps your speed at 42mph.

Not just the ECU, the engine is also different. All Audi's(except the A3) have longitudinally mounted engines with valvelift. It is valvelift that gives the increased torque in the Audis. Their Stage I tq numbers is even higher.

James9449

Ready to race!
msm00b --

I have something close to a twin of your GTI -- United Gray with various options. I'm talking with a nearby mechanic who has a VAG-COM to make any changes I would want to functions and defaults. Right now, I'm interested in DRL changeover to city/parking lights or city/parking lights and fogs. The mechanic also handles APR upgrades. We talked about it, and I'm interested, though I'm a little concerned about jeopardizing my warranty in any way. I'm also considering the intake side. If you have a chance and are inclined, give me your opinion of those upgrades to your GTI. I'm about to order an aftermarket catback exhaust (Borla, as the APR is a little too pricey for me right now), but that's mainly for a little extra 'bark.' Again, your opinion would be useful to me and much appreciated.

OBTW, my older brother lives up in Kerrville. That's nice motoring country, it seems to me, for either two- or four-wheeling (pavement, I mean). My brother thinks the only VW dealer is in SA, so he's probably not going to go have a look himself for a while.

-- James

JumpinJackFlak

Ready to race!
Audi's have variable valve lifts on both exhaust and intake valves, while the vw TSI only has variable action on the intake valves. Differently mounted engines as well, other than the A3. not sure what else.