GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 Golf - Lower brake pedal than normal?

leeanders

Our 2011 Golf (with only 10,000 miles) seems to have always had a lower than usual brake pedal height. Have compared it with other vehicles (not Golfs) and it is lower than normal. Braking power appears satisfactory - and if I pump the pedal a couple of times the pedal height will come up and will hold the pressure, so it does not appear to be a leakage issue. But start the vehicle again the following day and it has returned to the lower position.

Question: Do any of you experience this? Is this typical of Volkswagens?

Any ideas or comments will be appreciated.
Thanks

dallen13

Ready to race!
Umm, cool story bro?

Djmikeyd

Go Kart Champion

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
what cars have you drove? bmws are the same, but my dads expedition has a pretty high brake position (even the lowest adjustment you set to) and i find the euro cars more comfortable with lower position

leeanders

what cars have you drove? bmws are the same, but my dads expedition has a pretty high brake position (even the lowest adjustment you set to) and i find the euro cars more comfortable with lower position

Hondas; Toyotas, mostly Asian brands. All have higher positioned brake pedals when depressed. I've checked the master cylinder (had to remove the engine cover to get at it) and it is filled to the top line. Guessing this is typical for the VW?

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I see two main sources - one could be air in the brake fluid and the other master cylinder bracket flex. Brake fluid is non compressible but air introduces compressible medium that would make the brakes feel mushy. If you're pushing the pedal in a couple inches before getting bite from the brakes, this is probably the culprit. Though, at 11k miles I doubt you've boiled the fluid so it may be worth checking for leaks.

These cars also have poorly fixed master cylinders so they tend to move around under the pressure of the brake lines and your foot. It's probably a design choice to make the pedal feel friendlier. I've noticed Asian manufacturers haven't caught this trend yet, and good on them for that. TyrolSport makes a bracket that installs under the battery tray in the engine bay that reinforces the master cylinder and makes the pedal feel much better at the top.

butchered by autocorrecr

leeanders

I see two main sources - one could be air in the brake fluid and the other master cylinder bracket flex. Brake fluid is non compressible but air introduces compressible medium that would make the brakes feel mushy. If you're pushing the pedal in a couple inches before getting bite from the brakes, this is probably the culprit. Though, at 11k miles I doubt you've boiled the fluid so it may be worth checking for leaks.

These cars also have poorly fixed master cylinders so they tend to move around under the pressure of the brake lines and your foot. It's probably a design choice to make the pedal feel friendlier. I've noticed Asian manufacturers haven't caught this trend yet, and good on them for that. TyrolSport makes a bracket that installs under the battery tray in the engine bay that reinforces the master cylinder and makes the pedal feel much better at the top.

butchered by autocorrecr

GOOD Info.........thank you!