GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RLS (rain light sensor)windshield

nevekd128

Ready to race!
If i get an RLS windshield from safelite, i should be able to finish the wiring for rain wipers and auto headlights and leaving/coming home correct?

dima1978

Kinda late but do not get safelite glass( unless they install SEK w/s) make sure they use high mod urethane, clean out the frame well, use body primer. After the install, all you have to do is to wire everything according to a DIY ( flowting around at a TDI forum);plus, minor vcds stuff. I would wire everything prior to glass swap so the tech applies the gel pad for you, for warranty purposes. :) PS If they try to tell you their glass meets all DOT standards... blah, blah, blah... don't pay attention. You want FW03187 GTY SEK glass ( foreign windshield 3187 green, no shade band, with attachments. ( if you drive mk6 GTI)

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
Listen to these guys. I'm on my 4th windshield. My third one was the safelite one and it pitted so easily it was junk within 6 months. Also the noise through it was more. OEM has a noise reduction coating that works fairly well.

Suggestion: wax the hell out of the windshield when its new. It protects it more than you might think from pitting.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
I have the OEM branded RLS windshield...it's holding up better than my stock windshield. It has multiple coatings which I think helps in preventing chips/pitting

Timo

Ready to race!
I have the OEM branded RLS windshield...it's holding up better than my stock windshield. It has multiple coatings which I think helps in preventing chips/pitting

How much should I expect to pay for OEM branded RLS windshield?

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
How much should I expect to pay for OEM branded RLS windshield?

If you want the same manufacture (Saint-Gobain Sekurit), I paid just under $400 installed for just the windshield. It has the 3 step glazing not found on the MK5 windshield, making it more durable and quieter.

However, if you want the "VW" stamped Saint-Gobain Sekurit windshield, it'll cost around $700+ to import it into the US (not sure of Canada) because no one carries it/stocks it according to my glass guy (30+ yrs in the business).

StorminNorman

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey sorry to revive this thread but what do I need to say to safelite in order to get the Saint Gobain RLS Windshield on my MK6? Just tell them I have the rain sensor? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImitationMan

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey sorry to revive this thread but what do I need to say to safelite in order to get the Saint Gobain RLS Windshield on my MK6? Just tell them I have the rain sensor? Thanks

It's like I'm following you around the forum - since I just went through this here's my input:

I went with Safelite's brand of windshield, even after reading these threads and thinking I wanted OEM. I can't tell a difference from the OEM that was replaced (except no crack) and it only cost me $320 before tax. I have no regrets with my decision - especially since I saved at least $300 - which would pay for another windshield if I get hit with another big rock.

I went on their website and I ordered the windshield for a car with a RLS. I installed all the wires and put in the coding before the windshield install. Then I just gave the installer the light sensor and new mirror and asked them to put it on rather than the mirror that came off. The windshield came from Safelite with the metal bracket that holds the RLS sensor already glued to it. That metal bracket and the black stuff around it are the only difference between a RLS windshield and a non-RLS windshield.

StorminNorman

Passed Driver's Ed
It's like I'm following you around the forum - since I just went through this here's my input:

I went with Safelite's brand of windshield, even after reading these threads and thinking I wanted OEM. I can't tell a difference from the OEM that was replaced (except no crack) and it only cost me $320 before tax. I have no regrets with my decision - especially since I saved at least $300 - which would pay for another windshield if I get hit with another big rock.

I went on their website and I ordered the windshield for a car with a RLS. I installed all the wires and put in the coding before the windshield install. Then I just gave the installer the light sensor and new mirror and asked them to put it on rather than the mirror that came off. The windshield came from Safelite with the metal bracket that holds the RLS sensor already glued to it. That metal bracket and the black stuff around it are the only difference between a RLS windshield and a non-RLS windshield.

Okay cool that’s good to hear. What’s the safelite brand? Is it Saint-Gobain?

ImitationMan

Passed Driver's Ed
I believe Safelite has their own brand of windshields. They deal with so many windshields that they purchased their supplier. I got to talk to one of the installers for about 2 hours because the first installer came and went in about 30 minutes and let my windshield slip so that I had a gap at the top of the glass and the VIN was mostly obscured. The second guy came out to reseat it and broke the 1st new windshield taking it out. He had spare in the van and was ready for it. He took his time installing the 2nd windshield and made sure it didn't slip down again while answering all of my questions.