GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TOP or DV+ ?

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Can't speak to the TOP but the DV+ has been a great value for the benefits. I didn't get any additional power out of it and I still think so.

whitebeastMKV

Ready to race!
I can tell you that a cat-back exhaust makes a difference in power if you already have a 3" downpipe fitted. Since you have the CTS Turbo DP, I'd seriously look into a catback to complete the exhaust setup.

To answer your actual question between a TOP and a DV+, assuming you already have a Rev D DV as stock, I would most definitely get the TOP. Throttle response is better and you can actually "feel" the difference in your daily driving.

^THIS

i actually have the Neuspeed TOP and ABSOLUTELY have noticed having a better throttle response and most deffenately make a substantual difference.

i also added a GFB DV+ as of 2 months ago, and i swear ( or maybe is just that seat of the pants feel) that the car is EVEN more responsive now and a bit faster.

oh and it also got RID of that "pigeon" sound i had with the stock DV coming from the Carbonio intake i have...

just my 0.02 Cents worth

Gti207

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the responses! Looks like I'm leaning toward a TOP however a few of you bring up a good point on tires.... theses stock pirellis are awful. I've read some people develop boost leaks from aftermarket tops and thats my only restraint there.

Gti207

Ready to race!
I say if your OEM DV is bad or if you have the older version, upgrade it to a DV+

I feel as though it holds boost well, I'd have no way of knowing for sure w/o a boost gauge though

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
Do you know if you have a revision G or revision D DV installed? If you've got the diaphragm type (rev G) I would recommend getting it swapped to a piston type DV (Rev D DV or DV+).

A suggestion for the TOP would be the Neuspeed TOP. You can get one for the IHI turbo you have currently and with a very minor, and reversible mod you can use it for a K04 setup as well. The boost leaks people have issues with on TOPs is from the green o-ring that attaches the TOP to the intercooler piping.

Take my advice and get a new o-ring from VW and just make sure you install it properly and with due care not to stretch the o-ring when reconnecting it to the intercooler. If you do that, it won't give you issues. I've been running mine for more than 2 years now without issue.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
I've had my TOP/TBP combo in a box in the garage for the past couple of months (working out of state so no time to install)... Glad to hear the positive reviews on the TOP; makes me even more excited to get back to enjoying the car!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Best mod ive done is tires. The intake is nice to hear the "turbo noises".

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
I can tell you that a cat-back exhaust makes a difference in power if you already have a 3" downpipe fitted. Since you have the CTS Turbo DP, I'd seriously look into a catback to complete the exhaust setup.

No, I know how to drive properly. What's your point, mate? Do you understand the concept that you can add modifications to a car that do not necessarily add more power, but instead improve other aspects of the car's performance such as road-holding and responsiveness - which in turn leads to more efficient use of the car's current power, leading to a faster, better driving car?

Dude these two comments 100% contradict each other... Im not sure what youre going at.

A suggestion for the TOP would be the Neuspeed TOP. You can get one for the IHI turbo you have currently and with a very minor, and reversible mod you can use it for a K04 setup as well. The boost leaks people have issues with on TOPs is from the green o-ring that attaches the TOP to the intercooler piping.

Take my advice and get a new o-ring from VW and just make sure you install it properly and with due care not to stretch the o-ring when reconnecting it to the intercooler. If you do that, it won't give you issues. I've been running mine for more than 2 years now without issue.

Why on earth do people bother with ANY TOP that still involves the coupler? My advice is to OP is to ignore literally everything that you have said in this thread...

OP if you go TOP check out AWE's S3 TOP. It ditches the coupler and works with both IHI and k04 turbos. You dont have to deal with any o-ring and you dont get fitment issues that occasionally plague Spulen.

NolaMKVI

Ready to race!
If your gonna do a top might as well do a charge pipe too.

^ money wise, just go for both, they cost about the same on amazon..

I'm really surprised nobody has said a stage 1 tune yet lol..
EDIT: NEVERMIND.... I read his sig after posting.. go for both of the above mentioned, then tires