GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need input, mk6 GTI vs Acura TL V6

WeekendWarriorz

Ready to race!
Hey guys, a friend and I are going to run it soon and he has an 2012 Acura TL FWD with the 3.5l v6, those cars almost weigh 4000 pounds too. The HP ratings 280 hp and 254 lb-ft of torque at the crank and come with a garbage automatic transmission. Would my 4dr stage 1+ GTI with DSG be able to pull on it or would I maybe need a little weigh reduction to even it out (spare tire removed, tools/jack, rear seats)? thanks.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I have a friend that has a CL Type S which is the 2 door version of this car. New these cars can run 0-60 in 6.4 seconds. On par with a new MK6 DSG, so with your tune theoretically you should beat him, assuming his car is stock.

What will help you is launch control. That particular Acura does not have Launch Control and your car does. Use it. Hope you have good tires, maybe drop the fronts down to 32psi if your running A/S tires to get more grip off the line. If your running a grippy summer tire than the stock PSI should be fine, but even 35PSI on Summer tires may help for a drag race.

Those Acura's especially the Type S models can be fast, if taken care of. Yes the Honda Autos are garbage. My friend is on his 3rd transmission on his Type S.

Just my ten cents...:wosschilder980:

Good Luck..

Jeff

WeekendWarriorz

Ready to race!
thanks Jeff, yeah he has no launch control and i will definitely be using it, his is just a base package with stock A/S tires so I'm hoping I'll be able to pull ahead with launch control. Will post some GoPro footage after the race happens, filmed in Tijuana of course :)

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
You'll beat him don't worry about it, even if you spin a bit too much you should be able to catch him and pull on him but obviously try not to spin lol just launch control at 2k rpms and you'll be fine

Eurodyne stage 2 tune|Eurodyne Dsg Tune|Autotech dogbone insert|FK street lines coilovers|Rev D dv|Manzo eBay Dp|custom 3" catback|P-flo intake|Metric Autosport stage 2 intake pipe|R8 coils

LargeMargeSentMe

Ready to race!
@Jeffs2013GTI "Yes the Honda Autos are garbage" ???????

they make more reliable vehicles than v-dub, and all the first under 10 sec fwd cars were all hondas. it should be a close race but you should win. they are very heavy.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
I'm pretty sure a Stage 1+ MK6 would walk a 4th gen TL in any form.

Hell, I'd bet a stock MK6 would walk the FWD and probably slightly pull on the AWD too, it'll either pull or both cars would run out of steam and be neck n' neck.

The TL is very heavy! The FWD model is like 3700lbs and the AWD model is pushing 4000lbs!

Last edited:

c72k

Go Kart Champion

they make more reliable vehicles than v-dub, and all the first under 10 sec fwd cars were all hondas. it should be a close race but you should win. they are very heavy.

He's talking about the tranny :mad0259:

WeekendWarriorz

Ready to race!
Hahaha yeah, my friend thinks he'll "walk me" because he thinks his car puts whatever he's making at the crank down at the wheels... Oh well just got to wait a few days...

LargeMargeSentMe

Ready to race!
@SyDiko nah, didn't need fixing, leave it. I've owned lots of both, they are more reliable. but that doesn't change that fact that I'm still driving vw and no plans on going back.

LargeMargeSentMe

Ready to race!
@SyDiko maybe Honda will put a plastic intake manifold on one of their cars someday so they can have that vw reliability you speak of?

zrickety

The Fixer
Lol

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
Lol at 3700lbs, even if he did put 280 to the wheels, you'd only need 230 to the wheels to match his power to weight.

More likely though, he's putting down around 235whp (give or take), in which case it's no match for a tuned GTI, especially one with DSG.

Good luck, and post the vid.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Honda Automatics are known to Fail...Dont agree with me? Ask my Dad. 2 of his Acura's had Failed Auto Trannies.., My buddies CL Type S on his 3rd Tranny, ask most folks with a Honda Minivan, at some point they will have a bad transmission they are notorious for it.

Honda makes some of the BEST manual transmissions...but some of the WORST automatics...dont believe just me do a google search its all there...

Jeff

Last edited: