GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roll call for Those with R8 Coilpacks: Reliability Feedback Wanted

POLE ON DEM PACKS.

• Since purchasing them, I’ve had zero failures.

Votes: 301 95.3%
  • I’ve had 1 or more failures confirmed as the coilpacks and nothing else. Please explain in post.

Votes: 15 4.7%

• Total voters

SirClimax

Ready to race!
Did people miss the sarcasm in lilonespaz's post? or the word "them"...

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Cost is not the debate, cost effectiveness is. Also, if they are not an improvement, they would not be considered a "tune". They're also not any more expensive than stock coils.

So if both types cost the same, and at a minimum they are the same part just with/without the red top, their cost effectiveness is equal. Then I still don't see the point in the debate.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
So if both types cost the same, and at a minimum they are the same part just with/without the red top, their cost effectiveness is equal. Then I still don't see the point in the debate.
Yes if they both cost the same why not the R8 coil packs? It is sort of a moot point.

That being said I take what a seller says with a grain of salt & verify what they have said. Caveat emptor.

PlaidDad

Ready to race!
Stage 1, switched to R8s at 90k, blew one at 96k. Running 3 R8s and 1 used stocker, is there harm in that?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
yeah beware fake red tops. there have been numerous cases of a one-off bad pack here and there which isnt all that bad by my measure.

I have my stock coils still - ill try to take some pics to see if there is a visible difference for anyone who wants to put on a tin foil hat about this

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Stage 1, switched to R8s at 90k, blew one at 96k. Running 3 R8s and 1 used stocker, is there harm in that?
no damage will happen from running a mix of coils. Thats strange that you had a coil blow.. can you confirm it was a OEM audi Red Top?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

SirClimax

Ready to race!

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
Wow, dont know how you guys are having such good luck with these things! Had ANOTHER one go today, I seem to pop one every 20,000km or so. Any reasons why the same cylinder would keep going? Brand new plugs, its not the same replaced coil that went as I moved cyl 3 to cyl 4 when I replaced it last as part of my diagnosing. But its the same cylinder. Just a coincidence?
Going to start carrying spares with me!

Last edited: