GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine starting to sound very...diesel-like?

Mudig

Passed Driver's Ed
I noticed that the engine is starting to sound different than it once sounded. Either that or maybe it's always sounded like this. Although, if it did...then I wouldn't be questioning it. Is it because the engine is a lot older than before? I just don't think that just because it has 13k miles on it, it should start to sound very...cheap.

motor is starting to loosen up... break-in fully. Good for it. I wouldn't worry about it. Mine sounds better than ever...

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
Nothing will sound like diesel except diesel :D probably the engine breaking in for good, nothing to worry about. Post a video if you are really concerened, we'll be the judge

Larry70454

Ready to race!
Direct injection engines sound like a diesel when they get older, not an appealing sound I agree.

KaiSTrikes_MKVI

Ready to race!
Dont know what sound is considered APPEARLING ... but
I am pretty okay with the Engine sound/clatter ..
I guess I am just another blue collar worker.

mayham85

Passed Driver's Ed
Direct injection engines sound like a diesel when they get older, not an appealing sound I agree.

my old cars 1.4 tsi engine had same technology with gti`s engine. These engines make that sound even they are new products. This is because of direct injection tech.

Mitsu GDI and toyota 2.o direct injection avensis engines has same noise there is nothing to wory about. It is because of direct injection.

My old golf mkV 1.6 lt FSI had the same noise for example.

If it doesnt make this noise than worry about it :D

TomMcD

Ready to race!
I noticed that sound when I got mine last month with less than 6k miles. It sounded a lot like the '03 Jetta TDI I used to have on start up, except the TDI sounded like that all the time. I've not had a Direct Injection engine that wasn't a VW, but I do know the injectors can be loud, especially when cold so it makes sense.

--Tom

Fleron2301

Go Kart Champion
Especially when driving slowly, my father would ask me 'are you sure you didn't get the TDI?'

Lots of torque + diesel-like sound at low RPMs = diesel?

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
I've noticed the diesel-like sound since it was brand new, I just thought it was a 4cyl. direct injection thing. I do miss the sound of my 3.5L V6 in the Benz sometimes.

Mudig

Passed Driver's Ed
Was using my phone. Well if the clicking is apparent in yours too then I guess it's normal.

get used to it, and thank VW for putting a ton of sound deadening around the firewall. and using a thick windshield...