GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'10 Stage 1 GTI vs '03 JCW Mini Cooper S

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
I happen to own both of these cars and am curious as what would happen in a race since I haven't been able to .

I calculated that with current modifications, my GTI should have about 256hp/281tq at the crank (235hp/268tq at the wheels) on 91 oct. The Mini is rated at 200hp/177tq. I was told at the Mini dealership that ours has a JCW update and smaller pulley so should be at 210hp/ and roughly 185tq (Don't know the wheel numbers, sorry). GTI weighs approx 3200 (12.8lbs per HP, 11.4lbs per TQ), Mini weighs approx 2700 (12.9lbs per HP, 14.6lbs per TQ). Power to weight, HP/lb is about the same for both cars, but the GTI has gobs more torque.

I haven't had the chance to get my brother or a friend to drive 1 for me so I can drive the other. Hunch tells me if the GTI was stock even with my DSG, the Mini would likely win 0-60 and 0-100. But with my APR stage 1 tune and intake, I think I can pull on it pretty well. No doubt the Mini is more fun to drive on back roads, though. And I do love surprising people who think it's just a Cooper S. The badges are small and not flamboyant. Just one on the trunk and another on the lower grill.

Thoughts?

Some pics for kicks:

My wifes JCW Mini:

My GTI with the Mini:

Last edited:

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion

Brinkmen

VW NUT!

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
I agree with your outcomes, but your link is for a 2012 JCW which is different from our 2003. 14.55 @ 95.98 for ours from the factory. However ours is probably marginally faster than this. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0404_mini_cooper_s_works/

Insane that the JCW package makes a full second faster 0-60 than the regular Cooper S.

oh shit lmao, completely missed the year.

Still that shows a 1/4 mile time of 14.55, that will still be very close to the GTI

rquinn19

Ready to race!
GTI wins by two cars because Dark Cherry Tails and Clear Side Markers. Also had .2 to the Mini's 1/4 mile time because of the tire shine.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Use launch control and the DSG wins by a couple cars.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Any other opinions?

Davisflyer

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm going to give the nod to your modded GTI over the stock 2003 JCW. The JCW has weak low end torque. Now add a few mods to the JCW and your back in the game.

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Man I really like the JCW...
I really contemplate to get that car in fact before I bought the R i was gonna get the JCW but I went to mini dealer was in the show room for 45min and I barely got greeted... If a sales person was on their game I think I would walk away with one.

corydd

Go Kart Champion
Use launch control and the DSG wins by a couple cars.

I've actually found that launch control doesn't yield the best results with a stage 1 tune. It doesn't seem to deal with the added torque well and wheelspins like crazy. I get better results in regular manual mode.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
I've actually found that launch control doesn't yield the best results with a stage 1 tune. It doesn't seem to deal with the added torque well and wheelspins like crazy. I get better results in regular manual mode.

Yeah manual mode gives nice F1 car feel. S mode does pretty well too once you feather the wheel spin.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
*pic*

^ Actual Size

Wow didn't realize how big that was. Lol at the comment though. Uploaded it on my desktop with my 24" monitor. Fixed OP though.

In response to the comment. A picture of the back...

jaycheetwood

Go Kart Champion
No JCW body kit?