GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Basically, you're never going to get rid of all the noises in this car"

PHIL335

Passed Driver's Ed
I get the b-pillar rattles as well but my BIGGEST complaint is the wind/leaking noise I hear from the drivers door. Anytime I'm on the highway(every day, 100 mile round trip to work and back) you can pretty much hear everything outside via the leak. Its like the door isn't totally sealed and about halfway up the length of the door, you can hear the whistling/outside noise very clearly. Its annoying but I haven't had anytime to take the care in so it might wait till the 10k mile service. /shrug

I had the exact same problem today. It was pouring this morning and I felt dripping coming from the top of the drivers door. My car only has 50 miles on it

Justinjor

Ready to race!
I pressed on the corner of the window as mentioned in one of the linked threads and that is for sure where the sound is coming from. Now that I know, I'll have to take the car in and have them fix it. It's not terrible, but annoying enough to need it fixed. I'm so thankful for these forums. Although there is a good amount of crap to filter through, finding some good information is priceless :D

McQueen77

Banned
sorry to resurrect this tired thread again, but i am now convinced that i know the cause of the driver's side door 'creaking/flexing' sound that so many others have experienced. i have noticed the sound only occurs when the windows are up completely and i am driving at low speeds over uneven surfaces. last night i noticed it and while i kept thinking it was actually coming from somewhere inside the door panel, i cracked the window very slightly, so slightly that the open gap wasn't even visible. just enough to separate the window glass from the rubber seals and the sound vanished. i am certain that is the cause of the sound.

thus, it must be the sound of the window rubbing against the rubber seals. so the options are either crack the window ever so slightly at slow, around town speeds to minimize the annoyance, or try and convince the dealer i need all new seals on that side. btw, after i got all the seals and channel replaced on the passenger's side for wind noise, there was no more creaking. the pasadena dealer is the one who said i would 'never get rid of all the noises' and didn't seem willing to take it any further stating that 'thats just what the car does, its chassis flex'. BS I say. The Alhambra dealer seems more interested in customer service/helping.

so the question is, is it worth the hassle with a different dealer to try and get all the seals replaced, or just crack the window and deal with it, or finally, just blow my brains out?

input/thoughts are always appreciated.

Justinjor

Ready to race!
I had my GTI in for the 10k mile service and advised them of the wind noise problem. After having my car for an extra day, they agreed it was too loud and have ordered all new seals for both doors. I don't know if this will fix the issue, but it is certainly a start.

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
I think any car will experience creaks and rattles etc. And unless it's something obviously defective like wind leaking, it's better to just turn up the radio or ignore.
At least for me, the more I focus on a noise, the more it drives me crazy. Like water dripping from a faucet. Not worth the stress if it's just something inherent.

cateye

I know this sounds crazy but it works. My 8P S3's driver side door started to squeek soon after I drove it home. When I wind down the window just a tad, the squeek goes away.

Then googling this to see if it's a common problem and came across this link:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-...d-my-life.html

I don't know how many of you are experiencing this but are simply just putting up with it. I knew it was driving me crazy.

So anyway, the solution in the end was just to rub some crayons (preferably black) on the felt material on along the door frame. And the squeek is now gone...

Try this, it really works. But not sure if it's the same noise u referring to...

emkay5

Ready to race!
Yeah brah, I got hip to the lithium grease a while back and yes, it works, but Krytox which is essentially a higher quality lithium grease works better. Thats not what causes the 'flexing creaking' sound or the B Pillar tick.

Never heard of lithium grease but krytox is PFPE based lube. We use this stuff to lube memory sockets on circuit boards.

Sorry about your ticking problems, hope you get to the root cause soon.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

returnofthegti

Passed Driver's Ed
To prove out your theory you could try to "lube" the seals with a rubber protectant eg., armorall or as the poster above noted crayons. Along the same lines - beeswax, a candle or a bar of soap would also work. Silicone spray could be used but stay away from the paint.

McQueen77

Banned
To prove out your theory you could try to "lube" the seals with a rubber protectant eg., armorall or as the poster above noted crayons. Along the same lines - beeswax, a candle or a bar of soap would also work. Silicone spray could be used but stay away from the paint.

yeah, i may do that. like i said though, if i crack the driver's side window even a half an inch, the creaking goes away so i can't imagine what else it would be.

Tetsuei

needs m0ar shiny.
I just started hearing some squeaking today for very first time. Ugh. Not happy at all.

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
the b-pillar tick is the result of chassis flex?

that's a load of <expletive deleted>.

i get this tick on either side of the car, usually the side exposed to sunlight and experiencing some sort of temperature change as a result of that exposure and the fact that it's more audible when the car is STATIONARY like at a stop light tells me this is induced by some other factor(s). chassis flex? give me a break....

I have this exact same tick comming from the B-pillar only when the sun is directly on it ! This tick has an interval of around 1-2 sec and is more noticable when the car is stationnary like u said. Very annoying but stop after 10-15 mins of run. I think its the B-trim plastic that expend on the sun contact.

The flex tick is an other rattle more noticable close the doors that the B-pillar and are noticable when u accelerate the car, fixable by use of some lithium grease on the latch of the doors.

I think its two separate rattles.

power-san

Ready to race!
I just got out of a MK5 and got my MK6 a couple days ago.
My MK5 made noises like nobody's business.
Oh well..

pubahs

Passed Driver's Ed
Well.... since it seems no one has mentioned it, I will.

I had the door creaking/clunking noises as well. I had the dealer look and service it at 10k. Needless to say nothing improved

I solved the noises with a $0.68 purchase.

1 - roll of black electrical tape

Take a piece approximately 1-1/2" - 2" long and wrap it around the Door Pin/Striker. Should go around about 5-6x.

Door now shuts more firmly, sits tighter... and wow imagine that, the clunking noises are all gone.

Problem solved - fuck the dealer theyre useless and not creative anymore. I give credit to this from someone on Vortex, they called it the "electrical tape mod"

Justinjor

Ready to race!
Pics pubah?
I think I'm in the exact same boat as you. The dealer ordered new window seals that are supposed to go on the car whenever I take it back to them. I think they made some adjustments while it was in for the 10k mile service as the door seems more rickety now. I don't know though, it could just be my imagination.

KIX

Passed Driver's Ed
In Mexico we have a saying: "If it doesnt rattle. its not a Volkwagen."

That said, my left door seals need to be replaced....