GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 GTI Oil Drain Plug - Hex Key (Allen Key)

~clover

Passed Driver's Ed
So... went to change my oil today and found out I have this 6mm hex key bolt. After reading this thread now I'm wondering about leaking if I replace it. I got the force fluid flush kit from DBC tuning (motul specific 5w40, oe filter, drain plug) and the drain plug they gave me is just one of the regular drain plugs bolts. Will I be okay using this or do I have to go to VW and get that torx head bolt and crush washer?

bkord123

Passed Driver's Ed
So... went to change my oil today and found out I have this 6mm hex key bolt. After reading this thread now I'm wondering about leaking if I replace it. I got the force fluid flush kit from DBC tuning (motul specific 5w40, oe filter, drain plug) and the drain plug they gave me is just one of the regular drain plugs bolts. Will I be okay using this or do I have to go to VW and get that torx head bolt and crush washer?

This doesn't answer your question, but you might consider a Fumoto drain plug that stays on the oil pan and you turn a valve to drain. I recently installed the F-106 on my 2012 GTI and I love it. Here's a link if you want to check it out: http://www.qwikvalve.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

~clover

Passed Driver's Ed
This doesn't answer your question, but you might consider a Fumoto drain plug that stays on the oil pan and you turn a valve to drain. I recently installed the F-106 on my 2012 GTI and I love it. Here's a link if you want to check it out: http://www.qwikvalve.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

Good suggestion, I had one on my last car and loved it. I want to put one on after the warranty ends. But for the 3yr/36mi that VW will change every 10k miles I want to keep the regular bolt on. I'll just change it at 5k have them change at 10k me at 15k and so on...

bkord123

Passed Driver's Ed
Good suggestion, I had one on my last car and loved it. I want to put one on after the warranty ends. But for the 3yr/36mi that VW will change every 10k miles I want to keep the regular bolt on. I'll just change it at 5k have them change at 10k me at 15k and so on...

I'm going to do the same thing with changing my oil in between them doing it. My only problem now is tire rotation which I want to do every 5 but they only do it every 10 and it's more of a hassle for me than the oil changes.

~clover

Passed Driver's Ed

Bump. I really need to get my oil changed his weekend :(

climhazzard

Bump. I really need to get my oil changed his weekend :(

My experience was that using the regular drain bolt the first few oil changes was fine, but then eventually it began to leak. I would suggest getting the aluminum crush washer (I posted the part number a page or 2 back) and either the new torx bolt, or use what you have but cut off the steel washer and replace it with the aluminum, which is what my car currently has and it hasn't leaked since.

~clover

Passed Driver's Ed
My experience was that using the regular drain bolt the first few oil changes was fine, but then eventually it began to leak. I would suggest getting the aluminum crush washer (I posted the part number a page or 2 back) and either the new torx bolt, or use what you have but cut off the steel washer and replace it with the aluminum, which is what my car currently has and it hasn't leaked since.

Thanks! I'll use the bolt from DBCTuning this time and order a few of the new torx bolts for the next few times.

climhazzard

Thanks! I'll use the bolt from DBCTuning this time and order a few of the new torx bolts for the next few times.

Sure. My other suggestion is to use an oil extractor and skip dealing with the drain plug altogether. I was originally against it, but after dealing with the plug dripping I bought one from Amazon for ~$50. It's a VW approved method, so why not.

ShdBluMkVI

Ready to race!
Wow - that thing was such a bitch to remove today - but a socket wrench and hex bit took care of it with a lot of force.

Makes me wonder if the dealer over tightened it after the last oil change I paid them to do - or, if they've just been sucking it out with the extractor.

Anyway, I installed the Fumoto today so I won't be having that problem ever again.

zrickety

The Fixer
Maybe autozone or advance.

gavinfla

Hi all, i was trying find the size Torx bit today myself and couldn't an answere. thats how i found this forum. The torx bit size is T45 for my 2012 GTI, torque spec on oil plug is 30 Nm or 22 ft-lb don't forget the .84 cent washer. siphoning oil Is for boat engines ? Plus it makes for a dirty oil pan.
I thing someone was asking the torque spec on the wheel lugs, 120Nm or 88.5 ft-lb